PDA

View Full Version : Is this bad algae.??

JDM_SOHC
05/31/2011, 05:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T5CQgFTWyY

It's small follicle type algae, it's sticking to my glass and small pieces here and there throughout my live sand... Just wondering what it is, and if it's bad..?? Thanks..

sjwitt
05/31/2011, 05:37 PM
Kind of hard to tell but it looks like green hair algae (GHA). I won't say it's "bad" because it's burning the excess nutrients in the water. Your tank looks new so it's all part of the cycling process. It could be bryopsis which you really don't want in your tank. Easy way to tell is pull it off and if it 'collapses' when you take it out of the water and is slimy then it's GHA. If it is kind of coarse like horse hair then it's bryopsis. Check and post your water parameters and IF it's bryopsis you might need to adjust your magnesium and alk. I think it's probably NOT bryopsis because I've never seen it grow on a smooth surface like glass, but thats just my experience.

JDM_SOHC
05/31/2011, 05:43 PM
I went to my LFS and he tested me yesterday, said everything was perfect.. results were - 0 N,N,A and salinity 1.024...

duncantse
05/31/2011, 06:08 PM
Looks like GHA to me. If it's a new tank, you shouldn't have to worry about it because it will be gone after eating up all the phosphates in the water.

Sport507
05/31/2011, 07:12 PM
If you keep an aquarium you will have to clean the glass, be it fresh or saltwater. It's a part of the hobby. I would like to have someone step up and say, they never have to clean the glass. Algae, is a part of nature and does sever a purpose. It's only the aquarist that doesn't like it but it's part of the Ritual of tank care. I raised fresh water Angelfish for many years and I was never without it. I agree with other the above posters it looks like GHA. Just watch the parameters (chemistry wise) to not let it get out of hand but your fine.

If you don't have snails, they play a big part in helping you keep the glass clean. JMO

JDM_SOHC
05/31/2011, 08:13 PM
Yes it's about 5 weeks old now, so I assume it's only part of the cycle...

And yes I have 10 snails, 10 hermits, blue yellowtail damsel, 2 chromies, filefish, 2 baby shrimp, and that's it lol...

baws187
05/31/2011, 09:12 PM
I had similiar problem I got a yellow tang and a blenny the tang eats eat way more the the lawnmower. I know this is not a fix for my actaul problem I am at 0 including the phosphates test.

JDM_SOHC
05/31/2011, 09:28 PM
My tank is only 30 gallons and I hear a tang wouldn't be a good fit... (Although I'd love one, lol)..!!!

JDM_SOHC
06/02/2011, 07:55 PM
So my GHA issue is only getting worse... I tested my water and my parameters are all fine..?? It's starting to sprout in my live sand too now, but it doesn't grow on my LR at all..??