PDA

View Full Version : What's the best light timer?

Jlobo
06/01/2011, 10:31 AM
What light timers do you guys like???

thebkramer
06/01/2011, 10:43 AM
I have these 2.. love them.. I'm sure there are better though ;)

I use this one for everything but actinics:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/209292/product.web

and this one for actinics:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/213921/product.web

actually just bought a dual for actinics so I can run another powerhead with that

DoubleM 10
06/01/2011, 10:46 AM
lowes or home depot. get the digital ones. the mechanical ones can jam. i had one jam so it stayed on. i came home from a 12 hour day to all types of algea

alton
06/01/2011, 10:47 AM
RKL Light. Turns them on and turns them off. And if your tank gets too warm turns them off untill the tank gets back below your set temp $115 and come with 4 receptacles that you can set differently with different sceneros

schmnr
06/01/2011, 10:49 AM
I just use the cheap walmart mechanical ones, never had a problem, but wouldn't be surprised if one did fail.

lacosta28
06/01/2011, 10:50 AM
I go to Lowes and get their digital programable timers. They are around 12 dollars and allow you to have over 20 settings. Very simple to use and have a small battery so in case of power loss you don't also lose everything you programmed.

Mr.Tan
06/01/2011, 10:53 AM
+1 on the digital unit from lowes/home depot. I have one and it works good. Kind of confusing at first since i didn't read directions, but its good and does what it needs to for the money.

thebkramer
06/01/2011, 10:54 AM
I go to Lowes and get their digital programable timers. They are around 12 dollars and allow you to have over 20 settings. Very simple to use and have a small battery so in case of power loss you don't also lose everything you programmed.

$12 !!!!! NICE!!
I was always under the impression you couldn't use timers from lowes & that because they are not meant for aquariums??
If I can.. I'd much rather have everything on one timer than have to mess with 2!!!

Mr.Tan
06/01/2011, 10:56 AM
$12 !!!!! NICE!!
I was always under the impression you couldn't use timers from lowes & that because they are not meant for aquariums??
If I can.. I'd much rather have everything on one timer than have to mess with 2!!!

it really doesn't make a difference if its for an aquarium or not. They all do the same thing... the only upside to having one that you buy from an aquarium store is that it might have built in things like for temperature of the tank etc..

lacosta28
06/01/2011, 10:58 AM
$12 !!!!! NICE!!

I have been using them without any issue. I don't buy the surge protector timers, although they do have those too for cheaper than fish supply stores. I use a regular surge protecter and plug my digital timers into that. The timers have two outlets on them too. I control all my lights with these.

NirvanaFan
06/01/2011, 03:51 PM
I use an outdoor rated timer from the hardware store. It is made by Intermatic. There are two of them used by my tanks, and I am very happy with them. They are easy to use and reasonably priced.

If I were to do it again, I would just buy a controller though. Controllers can do a lot of stuff for less money (if you use them all).

walkerbrody
06/01/2011, 04:04 PM
I have an aquacontroller Jr. You can find them used for $100-$150. More expensive than a timer but many many times more useful.

Agu
06/01/2011, 04:07 PM
Used the cheap mechanical timers for years. They never failed on me but eventually they develop an annoying grinding noise. ( Took one apart and they have gears in them just like an old clock).

Tried the digital timers when they first came out but as noted above they had to be reprogrammed after any power outage.

Now I'm using cheap digital timers from Target, as I recall they were $18 for a two pack. So far so good without the issues from the first generation of digital timers.

cloak
06/01/2011, 06:35 PM
Those bulky white timers from Home Depot, Lowes, OSH have been working fine for years without any problems. (3 prong) If I'm not too far away, I can here them "click" when the lights or the ATO goes on/off. Kinda cool. :)

Jlobo
06/01/2011, 07:47 PM
Okay, well I've been using a Marineland mechanical and I can't be sure but I think it caused my GFCI to trip so I'm looking for something else.....