PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Shortcake Coloring issue

cpllongjk
06/01/2011, 03:06 PM
Ive had a frag of Strawberry Shortcake since mid-january and it has been doing fairly well in my tank as far as growth. Its put down a nice base and the rim of the base is a light purple color. The coral has lost all of its yellow color. The entire coral is a light pink color.

I placed it near the bottom of my tank. I would say its placed 18" under the waters surface. It was placed under T5s and I just switched to LEDs. The color was lost before I switched to LEDs though. It appears to be faded, I figured it was bleached so I decreased the lighting on the entire tank, everything else is doing just fine btw. Its been a few weeks and still no change. Im wondering if the coral isnt getting enough PAR. I havent tested my PAR since switching to LEDs but the last time I tested with T5s it was 150 PAR at the surface of my tank. I would assume that the LEDs are the same, maybe a bit less since I have them dialed down so much.

Any help would be appreciated and I will try and post a picture later. This coral is really stumping me, it was my favorite when placing it in the tank, but now it looks washed out and ugly.

Jared

Pallobi
06/01/2011, 06:20 PM
i also recently got a SSC, about 3 weeks ago, give or take... i have read these guys can be finicky, and take some time to adjust... some quite longer than others... however, i am gonna suggest slowly moving it up in the water column nearer to the light a little bit each week... but not to the very top... perhaps this will help?? not too sure, merely a suggestion based on what i have read here and there... im sure someone with more experience will chime in and offer some advice sooner rather than later :)

LifeAquatic
06/01/2011, 06:21 PM
At 18" down its probably not bleaching at this point. Can you move the coral up a few inches and see if that helps? Sometimes it takes months for SPS corals to color up after adjusting to a new home.