PDA

View Full Version : how long should they last?

cet98
06/01/2011, 03:22 PM
this may sound ridiculous, but how long are the cartridges in a 4 stage RO/DI unit supposed to last?
I bought all new cartridges and a new membrane from you guys almost 2 years ago and my HM DM1 Dual TDS monitor still reads "0" TDS (after a 2 min flush)...
it starts out at around "35" ppm then quickly falls to "0" on my 75 GPD unit...

FWIW, I am on Chicago city municipal water/sewer and, at most, only make 10-20 gallons of water a month...
could it be that after so much time (and so little water being produced) that the cartridges are still doing their job?

TIA
C :)

Thefilterguys
06/02/2011, 08:25 AM
For the amount of water your making you want to change the first three filters across the bottom once every nine months, standard filter package $22. Remember your filtering waste water also at four times the rate of product water.

DI is on an as needed basis and you always want to see zero tds and change as soon as you see a reading above zero. The tds reading you see in the begining is called tds creep off the membrane and is normal as long as it goes down in the first minute or two of operation.

Jim

awilson500
09/18/2011, 11:15 PM
You are saying that I should change my filters every 9 months regardless what the TDS meters says.. Is there something that might be letching in the water even thought TDS meter reads 0??

Thefilterguys
09/19/2011, 09:57 AM
Your prefilters, sediment and carbon filters, have nothing to do with your tds readings. The tds readings are a result of your membrane and DI chamber. Sediment and carbon filters are a $22 set and we recommend they be changed once every nine months in you case. You want high quality filtration from these three filters and are not trying to get capacity. Glass of water drink water systems have a recommended filter change time of 12 months regardless of how many glasses of water you make. The filters I sell are some of the highest quality in the market place and for a reason, because many hobbyists don't do things in a time fashion I try to spare them the pain of having a water related accident with there aquariums. Most vendors don't share that concern or have a clue.

Jim

awilson500
09/19/2011, 08:06 PM
I fit right in that don't have a clue category! HaHa!

Well Now that I have a better understanding of how the filters work. I have went ahead and changed my filters and set a date for the next filter change out. Thanks for all that you do.

awilson500
09/19/2011, 08:07 PM
I fit right in that don't have a clue category! HaHa!

Well Now that I have a better understanding of how the filters work. I have went ahead and changed my filters and set a date for the next filter change out. Thanks for all that you do.

Thefilterguys
09/21/2011, 10:25 PM
Sorry doesn't have a clue wasn't intended for you as a customer but you would thing the average vendor selling you a product would educate himself.

Jim

awilson500
09/21/2011, 11:26 PM
Sorry doesn't have a clue wasn't intended for you as a customer but you would thing the average vendor selling you a product would educate himself.

Jim

I know... I was just having fun...:wildone:

awilson500
09/22/2011, 07:17 AM
Jim Have a question for you.

Yesterday I got a hand held TDS meter and checked my RO/DI. Got a reading of 004. I have been having really bad algae problems for a long time. So long that I'm ready to give up the hobby.... So I changed my filters like mentioned above and today I changed out my DI too. I also dumped all the water out of the RO tank of my mixing station that I have set up. Well you know that 1" or 2" of water that is setting in the bottom of my RO tank, I decided to check it with my new meter...! Do you want to guess it what it read??? 570 TDS :mad2: Why was the water at the bottom of the tank so high?:confused:

Now I'm almost certain that this is the problem I have been having with all the algae. So I have completely started over pulled the tanks out of the house dumped them out all the way and they are currently drying outside.

Is there something that I'm not doing right? Like the Flush valve how exactly does that work?? Do flush before you turn on the RO/DI or do you flash out and the end of your water collecting. And also if I had a auto topoff would I have to flush at all?

Thefilterguys
09/22/2011, 11:35 PM
What are you using for a water container?

Jim

awilson500
09/23/2011, 12:33 AM
What are you using for a water container?

Jim

I bought 2 of these..http://www.ntotank.com/25gaveta.html

Thefilterguys
09/23/2011, 09:31 PM
The information on your container seems to indicate it is stable plastic and shouldn't leech chemicals. All of the water in the container should have had the high tds reading and not just the residual. When using a handheld tds meter testing should always be done in a clean glass container.

I have no idea what contaminated your water with a high tds reading. When you start making water again test your product water directly from the system and once again in the product water container and let me know your readings.

Jim