PDA

View Full Version : 100% reef safe dwarf angelfish?

Western_reefer
06/01/2011, 04:04 PM
Are there 100% reef safe dwarf angelfish out there? Is the Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish (Centropyge argi) 100% reef safe? Are there any other dwarf angels that are 100% reef safe? (ie, wont nip sps, lps, softies, clams, etc, etc. )

jarrodsanborn
06/01/2011, 04:09 PM
My cherub has been a saint. pigmy angels are pretty good for a mixed tank......
That said its still a roll of the dice.

sent with my fat thumbs typing on a stupid damn smartphone

Arkayology
06/01/2011, 04:09 PM
Nothing is 100% bonified, without a doubt reef safe. As for dwarf angels, they are hit or miss. I had a pygmy cherub that would pick at slim and tentacles once in awhile, but left SPS alone. It really just depends on the luck of the draw. They are grazers and will pick at stuff. Keeping them well feed helps though.

SNAKEMANVET
06/01/2011, 04:36 PM
I have a coral beauty and it is not picking on corals or clams.I have had it for a year now.

Sheol
06/01/2011, 05:21 PM
Dude, even "Reefsafe" isn't 100%. Than silly label needs to be removed from this Hobby. Probably along with "SPS" and "LPS "! ROFLOL. Meaningless, sometimes these terms are accurate. More often they mislead.
For example: My 100% reef safe A. ocellaris clown ("Nemo" as my mother irratatingl calls the ENTIRE specis! <Arrrgggghhhhhh!!>, was more destructive in my old Reef than any of the angels (including a C. bicolor!) I've owned. She was deliberately destructive..
Tangs will eat Trachyphyllia coral, so will almost ALL angels, including Genicanthus, the most "Reef Safe" of all SW Angelfish.
Its more a matter of choosing corals that are NOT tasty for the fish species you like. Most toxic softies, Mushrooms, and a fair amount of SPS do not interest Centropyge sp. at all. (though you get the occasional psychopath that destroys EVERYTHING in the tank..).
C. argi and its relatives are safer than most, but are very belligerent in nature, something you also have to plan ahead for...
Also, healthy corals are much LESS appealing to Angels than sick ones. They do eat excess mucus and waste, and dead and dying polyps. If they start they may not stop!
I hope this helps clarify the issue. You take a risk any time you add fish to a Reef..

Sincerely,
Matthew

djze
06/01/2011, 07:36 PM
+1 on sheol's advice

michael_cb_125
06/01/2011, 08:01 PM
I agree with Matthew. Reefsafe is a term that is thrown around so loosely.

~Michael

Josh_Canada
06/01/2011, 08:38 PM
coral beautys seem to be the most sucessful for most. Mine has yet to munch on the torch coral or open-brain.

reefsafe
06/01/2011, 08:47 PM
watanabei, swallow tail and bellus are great options

Toddrtrex
06/01/2011, 08:52 PM
Like others have said -- the term reefsafe is a bit abused. IMO, you should count on every dwarf nipping at all corals, and when they don't be pleasantly surprised. And with that said, out of all my dwarfs (( currently have 5 )) my coral beauty is the most destructive.

WT_JayJay
06/01/2011, 09:10 PM
i love my lamarck :D

38bill
06/01/2011, 09:25 PM
As mentioned the Watanabei, Swallow tail (Black Spot), Bellus and Lamarack's are generally considered reef safe. They are plankton feeders in the wild so they do not normally feed on coral. I have a Black Spot and a Bellus and they have never touched a thing in my mixed reef.

snorvich
06/02/2011, 04:20 PM

~Michael

I am on board as well. "reality is relative"

Sheol
06/02/2011, 05:11 PM
And yet, not too many months ago, there was a thread started here that concerned, guess what?, Genicanthus (I think either bellas or lamarcki) angels nipping and even killing coral. No Angel, no FISH period can be considered 100% reefsafe. Its a guarantee that is meaningless..
Oh well, anyway the OP asked about dwarf angels, not Genicanthus sps. I do agree, those are safer than Centropyge. As far as that goes.. LOL
You place your bets, you takes your chances..
As with everything in life.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Wolverine
06/02/2011, 05:33 PM

Definitely. When I'm not feeling lazy, I ask people what they mean by "reefsafe". Unless it's something like a clown trigger or undulated. Then the answer is pretty easy. :D

Angel*Fish
06/02/2011, 10:19 PM
Are there 100% reef safe dwarf angelfish out there? Is the Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish (Centropyge argi) 100% reef safe? Are there any other dwarf angels that are 100% reef safe? (ie, wont nip sps, lps, softies, clams, etc, etc. )The argi's are your safest bet as a group. But there is always risk involved.

Ninong
06/02/2011, 10:54 PM
None of the Centropyge angelfishes are 100% reef aquarium-safe but C. argi is reported to be the safest bet. I have kept both C. bispinosa and C. loriculus without problems but I didn't have any LPS in my tank. As far as nipping at clam mantles is concerned, I think mostly what's going on is that the fish thinks the iridiphores in the mantle are something else and they're just checking them out.

It's all a matter of your tolerance for risk and whether or not you are willing to make compromises with what else you keep in your tank just in case your prized angelfish thinks it's snack food.

Frankfish
06/03/2011, 08:43 AM
My coral beauty has been great, but I've only had him a few months. I did quite a bit of research before I bought this fish, but there are no definites in when it comes to the behavior of these fish (or any animal for that matter). I decided to give it a go, but have an "out" plan if things go wrong.

I've read that keeping the fish "well fed" helps keep them from nipping at corals, but I don't know it that is true, and "well fed" tanks could lead to other troubles.

progman2000
06/03/2011, 09:01 AM
And yet, not too many months ago, there was a thread started here that concerned, guess what?, Genicanthus (I think either bellas or lamarcki) angels nipping and even killing coral. No Angel, no FISH period can be considered 100% reefsafe. Its a guarantee that is meaningless..
Oh well, anyway the OP asked about dwarf angels, not Genicanthus sps. I do agree, those are safer than Centropyge. As far as that goes.. LOL
You place your bets, you takes your chances..
As with everything in life.

Sincerely,
Matthew

+1.

I just removed a lamarck from my tank 3 weeks ago that was going to town on my LPS after being in the tank 7 days. Ashame, he was a beautiful fish. I have a female swallowtail in the same tank that is perfectly fine.

michael_cb_125
06/03/2011, 09:07 AM
I have kept the following dwarf angelfish in my personal reef tanks without any major issues. All of my corals are/were thriving and the fish did little if any damage.

C. loriculus
C. colini
C. potteri
C. multicolor
C. multifasciata

The simple fact is that Dwarf Angelfish are nippers. They ARE going to pick and poke and nip and pry at any and all substrate in the tank and this includes corals and clams just as it does sand and rock. The thing to remember is that most corals are used to being picked at and have methods to cope. Most angelfish will leave a healthy coral alone, other than the passing nip. Also keeping your fish well fed does go a long way in helping reduce the urge to nip corals. I feed most of my fish between 4-8 times per day.

~Michael

SecretiveFish
06/03/2011, 09:15 AM
Another thing to consider with dwarfs too is if they will get along with your other fish. I had a Lemonpeel angel that was an evil fish. EVIL. Among other things, he even managed to kill my pink spotted watchman goby by aggressively chasing it, as in the poor goby's head got stuck between the glass and a rock. I am sure the angel then finished him off (was not home to see verify, just found the dead, stuck goby) !

That angel died when we moved the tank downstairs. I was not one bit sorry.

Mark
06/03/2011, 09:16 AM
Not to get all deep on you, but you need to figure out what kind of hobbyist fits your profile. If you are a die-hard coral guy, then I would just avoid angels all together. If you're more of a fish guy, then I'd make your angel choice on which one excites you the most. Decide on that fish, and then accept that there will likely be many corals that you cannot keep anymore. Every angel I've kept picked at something or another. I accepted that, and removed those type of corals from the display.

In my case, I cannot keep xenia, cespitularia, zoanthids, paly's, or any clove polyps with my regal angel.

When I had an emperor, I had to avoid Favia's and Acan's.

Regarding dwarf's, my potters is pretty well behaved. Flames and Argi complex dwarfs are a good bet. They will all nip, but usually the damage is trivial in a grown-in or large tank. And if you get one that nips a lot, don't lose faith. After a week of getting daily food offerings from you, they usually mellow out on the nipping.

simpleman98
06/03/2011, 09:46 AM
My G. Bellus male wants nothing to do with coral, (he lets everyone know he is the boss of the tank though). The female will occasionally nip at LPS.
I also have had good luck with a C. loriculus so far.

Angel*Fish
06/03/2011, 11:16 AM
Another thing to consider with dwarfs too is if they will get along with your other fish. I had a Lemonpeel angel that was an evil fish. EVIL. Among other things, he even managed to kill my pink spotted watchman goby by aggressively chasing it, as in the poor goby's head got stuck between the glass and a rock. I am sure the angel then finished him off (was not home to see verify, just found the dead, stuck goby) !

That angel died when we moved the tank downstairs. I was not one bit sorry.There was nothing evil about your fish.

It's always good to do as much research as possible before you buy an animal for your tank. There is often more than meets the eye. Lemon peels are notoriously aggressive and should never be trusted with corals. They are bigger than the average dwarf angel and get over 5 inches long and need a big tank like 100 g with a seriously large amount of rock arranged properly for angels.

sea of cortez
06/03/2011, 01:16 PM
My Potters and Flame have never bothered any of the corals LPS or SPS but the Coral Beauty like to nip on the seriatopora (birds nest) and its missing polyps where it likes to nip

Sheol
06/03/2011, 05:10 PM
Do not forget Fisher's and Whitetails. They may not be the flashiest Centropyge out there, not by a long shot. But they are smaller, and not bad coral nippers. Usually ( see my previous 2 comments! LOL)!

Matthew