PDA

View Full Version : Supporting a 210g tank?

LinkinReef
06/02/2011, 05:37 AM
We're looking to add some support under our floor inside the crawl space for a 210g tank. The only place where the tank can go with be sitting parallel to the support beams under the floor. Now this worries me a bit because I would rather the tank sit perpendicular to the support beams. My only idea is to buy 4, maybe 6 "Super "S" 3 ft. Jack Post" from the home depot and place one on each corner and maybe 2 in the middle on the edges where the tank would be. I'm thinking of placing a 4x4 on top of the jack post so that the 4x4's will be running perpendicular to the way the tank is sitting.

Does this sound right? Should 4 be ok or should I get 6 just to make sure?

mess7777
06/02/2011, 05:41 AM
I am no structural engineer but that should be more than adequate. Especially if you are near an outside wall.

I installed a 110g(much lighter) and had a similar concern. I ended up leaving it as is and haven't had any issues after a couple months. My floor has some bounce in it, but it always did.

rcr
06/02/2011, 06:18 AM
I am no engineer but I have a similar problem. I will be putting a 220g in the middle of a 20 foot span. I was advised to put 3/8 sheet steel between 2 2X10’s in 3 different places. The ends will sit on a block wall and 2 steel posts. 3 concerns I see with yours weight load of the jack post can support, are the jack post designed for long term use and what will be supporting the jack post? Hope everything works out for you.
Robin

James404
06/02/2011, 06:23 AM
Heres what I did to support my 225g:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af223/TheDJ404/DSC_0445_657.jpg

LinkinReef
06/02/2011, 03:18 PM
I am no structural engineer but that should be more than adequate. Especially if you are near an outside wall.

I installed a 110g(much lighter) and had a similar concern. I ended up leaving it as is and haven't had any issues after a couple months. My floor has some bounce in it, but it always did.

it will be just 3 feet away from the side wall and a foot away from the back wall so that should give it a little more support I think.

I am no engineer but I have a similar problem. I will be putting a 220g in the middle of a 20 foot span. I was advised to put 3/8 sheet steel between 2 2X10’s in 3 different places. The ends will sit on a block wall and 2 steel posts. 3 concerns I see with yours weight load of the jack post can support, are the jack post designed for long term use and what will be supporting the jack post? Hope everything works out for you.
Robin

The jack post that I'll be using, I was told they are for long term use. They will most likely just sit on the dirt under them or I'll add some cement blocks under each one just to be sure that the soil won't give in.

Heres what I did to support my 225g:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af223/TheDJ404/DSC_0445_657.jpg

Where did you get those jack post from? Are they sitting perpendicular to your tank? Did you place them in the middle of the tank or did you go to the front or the back?

peppie
06/02/2011, 08:22 PM
Make sure you place your jacks on a pier block. Do not just sit them on top of the dirt.
In the above pic if the jacks are in line with the tank and placed in the center of the tank that would be more than enough support.

LinkinReef
06/03/2011, 05:39 AM
Make sure you place your jacks on a pier block. Do not just sit them on top of the dirt.
In the above pic if the jacks are in line with the tank and placed in the center of the tank that would be more than enough support.

I was thinking of those blocks, but now I will definitely use them.

Would you recommend just using just for like in the above pic in line or placing 4 of them, one in each corner of the tank? I was thinking one in each corner (4) and then 2 in the middle sitting on each edge where the tank will be and then just run 3 pieces of 4x4's one per each pair of jack posts

rcr
06/03/2011, 06:50 AM
You also need to make sure you have blocking between the floor joist. Twisting can be more of a problem than fracturing.
Robin

billdogg
06/03/2011, 07:14 AM
You will have more than enough support using just 1 jack, centered. rather than use a 4x4, sandwich a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood between 2 2x6 (or 8's) you must use footer of some sort any way you go.

jm.02

James404
06/03/2011, 07:34 AM
it will be just 3 feet away from the side wall and a foot away from the back wall so that should give it a little more support I think.

The jack post that I'll be using, I was told they are for long term use. They will most likely just sit on the dirt under them or I'll add some cement blocks under each one just to be sure that the soil won't give in.

Where did you get those jack post from? Are they sitting perpendicular to your tank? Did you place them in the middle of the tank or did you go to the front or the back?

I got those jacks from lowes, no they are running horizontally along the tank, I have them about a foot in front of where the tank sits. I did this mostly to prevent sagging and bounce in the floor, I had no question that the floor would hold the tank.