PDA

View Full Version : How To Properly Clean My RO/DI Water Holding Tank?

bo0sted2g
06/02/2011, 10:22 AM
I have an almost brand new Plastic garbage pail that was in my shed that I plan on using to hold my RO/DI product water.
It is pretty clean we only used it once and it was just to hold ice for a party.
How do I go about cleaning it out so I can hold my RO/DI water in it, I dont want to introduce any residual chemicals such as soap right? because isnt that the purpose of running the water through the RO/DI in the first place.

Thanks in advance for the advice

steelhead77
06/02/2011, 10:51 AM
Pour a few cups of vinegar in the can then add water and swish it around a bit. Dump it out, rinse it with fresh water out of the hose and you're good to go. Do not use soap in any bucket that will be used for your fish tank. Better safe than sorry.

bo0sted2g
06/02/2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks! now on to the next thing, I have 4 filter socks that I got from the previous owner they are kind of grungy! so i would like to clean them out. I know some people put them in the washing machine but id rather not. Ive hear people clean them with bleach any input on the process would be helpful

Chris27
06/02/2011, 11:14 AM
Run them through a wash cycle with a cup or two of bleach, when done let them air dry to detoxify the chlorine. Once they are dry, they are ready for the tank.

disc1
06/02/2011, 12:27 PM
Its not a bad idea to use a little bleach on that storage container. Just be sure to give it a day to dry before you use it so the chlorine has a chance to go away.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

steelhead77
06/02/2011, 12:29 PM
Run them through a wash cycle with a cup or two of bleach, when done let them air dry to detoxify the chlorine. Once they are dry, they are ready for the tank.

+1...But just to be extra precautious, I would run them thru another cycle with no bleach or anything.

lordofthereef
06/02/2011, 01:41 PM
Let them air dry. The bleach will evaporate out. No worries there. You can certainly soak them and hand wash too. People use washers for the added agitation. Unless you spend a lot of time doing it manually, the washer is going to do a better job.

bo0sted2g
06/02/2011, 01:59 PM
Will running them through the washer leave any unwanted smell or residue from the filter socks they are kinda nasty. I am not the only one in my house who has to use the washer so I cant have it smelling like a rotten tide pool when im done! If that wont happen then to the washer it goes.. If it will happen then I have a couple hours of waiting till my RO/DI puts out enough water for me to do anything with, so I do have time to scrub if need be

Chris27
06/03/2011, 10:55 AM
Nope, the hot water and bleach take care of everything, the washer will smell just the same after the cycle.

postie1686
06/03/2011, 11:07 AM
so every month i dont have to replace my filter sock just wash it? hmm sounds like a cheaper plan to me!

Chris27
06/03/2011, 11:46 AM
Yep, I've had the same 3 $12 socks for well over two years.

BTW, the washing machine is much easier too, ever try to clean a filter sock by hand, I don't have that kind of time!

WaterKeeper
06/03/2011, 12:08 PM
Hey BoOst:

I wouldn't think that it really need that much cleaning at this point. Fill it with tap and swab it with a new bristle brush (you'll save that brush for future SW use so don't complain about the couple of bucks is costs :rollface:). After the scrub give it two tap water rinses, then fill with RO/DI and let sit overnite if time permits. Dump it and start collectin'.

Keeping the Storage out of direct sunlight helps avoid algae but suprisingly, algae does not grow all that well in RO/DI because of the low nutrient content. :thumbsup:

jeff@zina.com
06/03/2011, 01:09 PM
Will running them through the washer leave any unwanted smell or residue from the filter socks they are kinda nasty.
If it doesn't leave any odors after my normal socks, your filter socks are fine. :)

Jeff

bo0sted2g
06/03/2011, 05:27 PM
LOL thanks.
I ran them through the wash with some bleach and the came out cleaner than I expected