PDA

View Full Version : To Vortech owners....

Stuginski
06/02/2011, 08:50 PM
Hi reefers..

Ok...Probably this isn't the first neither the last time that a reefer ask...

Vortech... worth the price????

I have a 55gallon predominantely sps reef...actualy I use two (inexpensive koralias 750) and to be honest my circulation is really fine...but I want to improve it...

So Iīm thinking to invest in vortechs (1 mp40 or two mp10).....my questions are:

1- What the vortechs does (in terms of water movement) that other pumps doesnīt ????
2- To my tank....1 mp40 or 2 mp10 ??????

Thankīs for everyone! And sorry for my terrible english!

Best regards

D.

PokerReefer
06/02/2011, 08:53 PM
Two Mp-40s synched and dialed back. Vortechs are capable of having variable flow from their controllers that a regular koralia could never do. If your thinking about them then it's time ! 

ColaAddict
06/02/2011, 09:12 PM
Just got an MP40 and it's kicking my koralias butt!!!

tkeracer619
06/02/2011, 09:15 PM
two mp10 would be more then enough in your tank. they are absolutely worth it.

They move water in a way that no other pump can. The prop is close to the glass so it creates an undertow that I have not been able to recreate with another powerhead. They also remove power wires from the tank and remove heat. If you ever think you are going to upgrade then you will have no problem selling them and going to mp40 or 60 pumps. They hold the resale value.

Go for it. You won't regret them.

Stuginski
06/02/2011, 09:18 PM
Hi Poker...

Two mp40???? it isnīt too much???? The Mp40 are very expensive here in Brazil...and at least for now 2 mp40s are out of my plans $$$ :-(

Cola...

What is your tank size??? and what korallias do you were using???

Could 1 mp40 provide a waterflow in all tank?????

Thank you guys!!!!!

Hails from Brazil

D.

tkeracer619
06/02/2011, 09:24 PM
They work better in pairs. Make sure to get the wireless models.

Stuginski
06/02/2011, 09:24 PM
Hi Tkeracer

I read in some places that vortechs are too noisy when run in max.....is it true?

Do you think (with 2 mp10s) ...I will have to run both at 100% power???

Thanks!!!

Hails from Brazil

D.

tkeracer619
06/02/2011, 09:33 PM
It depends on how sensitive you are to noise. Can you hear them. Yes you can. Is it a deal breaker for some. Yes, but they are in general very sensitive to noise and have a 100% silent setup.

Here is a video of 4x mp40. There are a lot of thinks you can hear in the video including the vortechs. Just noticed I got a thumbs down. :lol: @ sour grapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNYgEL1QEdc

Stuginski
06/02/2011, 09:58 PM
:lol2: I know this video...and I allmost have a heartattack with the exorcist girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

More opinions??????????????????????????????

Hails from Brazil!!!!!

D.

zy112
06/02/2011, 10:04 PM
the answer IMO is based on your tank set up, your goals and financials when your talking adding some vortechs.

I ran two on an sps dominated 120 gallon and nothing beats them. If your tank is thriving without them and you dont want to pony up that much cash for them, don't think you have to to have a healthy system. But the capabilities including the variable flows are pretty sweet. Maybe bu one if you can now and add another down the road.

We all like the latest and greatest, but SPS tanks have been successful long before vortechs;) With that said, if you do buy some, I don't think you will regret it.

tkeracer619
06/02/2011, 10:26 PM
;) .

Stuginski
06/02/2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks zy...

I will put some pics to ilustrate the tank we are talking about...at the moment I have maybe 5 more corals...

Terrible pics....my photographic talent is worse than my english

Thanks guys!!!

More opinions?????

Hails from Brazil

D.

aandfsoccr04
06/02/2011, 11:07 PM
The tank looks great and coral growth looks stellar. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Been a motto of mine for years plus I like to play devils advocate.

Pallobi
06/02/2011, 11:10 PM
i jus read the first post and none of the others... in response to the op's question, my vortecs are the single best investment and peices of equipment i have gotten for my system... and my corals would tell you the same if they could :) GL!

btw, they come with a good warranty, and excellent and prompt customer service and if you ever need it repaired, they have everything you need and do it very quickly and get them right back to you promptly...

mgraf
06/03/2011, 01:10 AM
Ive got 2 mp10esw's on a 4' 65 gallon breeder tank. Best money spent yet. I have mostly lps, so I don't run them full throttle. When I do, I can get a 3/4 inch wave going in the tank. Often thought I should have went with the mp40's but can't afford em either! I'd go for the 2 mp10's

jb61264
06/03/2011, 07:39 AM
I was a HUGE skeptic on the Vortechs until I say one in person working on a friends tank. I have a 75 and over a few months bought two used MP10s and will never go back. They produce amazing flow especially if you are doing a SPS tank they are worth the money. Course, being the skeptic I was and am, I bought my MP10s used here on Reef Central.

ziyaadb
06/03/2011, 08:32 AM
cant advise on the vortechs as i dont own any but ur sps is looking great well done

stevedola
06/03/2011, 09:54 AM
Vortechs are very nice to have. the randomized flow is awesome. I think you could get away with 2 mp 10s turned up on a std 55g tank. Some will say u need more flow but if you can always add back 1 of your koralias to increase water movement.

davocean
06/03/2011, 10:14 AM
Not only do I love the random flow, and no wires in my tank, but my tank temps have been very easy to maintain since adding them, no chiller needed.
Sometimes you need to dial the wetside just right to reduce noise/hum, but not a big deal in most cases.
I think 2 mp 10's would be fine, and your tank looks great BTW!

Manta034
06/03/2011, 11:21 AM
I would go with two MP10's. I have an MP40 and a Tunze Nano 6045 (can't afford an additional Vortech at the time. Will soon upgrade to an MP10 soon) in my 75. I love the MP40 but have it dialed back to around 40%. That is why in my opinion I believe two MP10's would be plenty.

I cannot comment on the noise of an MP10 but an MP40 running at 100% is pretty noisy but not a whole lot louder than my other equipment.

sanchoy
06/03/2011, 12:34 PM
With that small tank I would do MP10.. but if you plan to upgrade (most of us do) then go with MP40. Are they worth it? Yes, one of the best purchases i made so far.

rbredding
06/03/2011, 12:53 PM
is it worth the price?

NO...

I prefer Tunze controllable nanostreams for their price.. (new, you can get two 6055s and a 7096 controller for the same price as a single mp40..) and they'll do NEARLY all the same settings.. (dont have the ecosmart settings)
BUT:
*they are truly silent, (not "Vortech Silent" - which is most noticeable when utilizing any of the pulsing modes)
*they're attractive (not more so that the Vortech, but they are good looking pumps)
*they dont get hot (EVER).. the dry side of a vortech, even an MP10, gets pretty hot
*they run on about 36w (for BOTH of them)..

and I CURRENTLY own both...
MP10 on my fish only (30L)
6055s and a nano wavebox on my 90gal reef

jcolletteiii
06/03/2011, 01:10 PM
Worth the price? NO.

they do some cool stuff, but IMO it's not necessary. If you like gadgety, overpriced stuff, then by all means. I switched to Korallia pumps. Some differenced I've noticed...

1) Korallias are nine million percent cheaper.
2) Korallias are MUCH, MUCH quieter, (silent).
3) Korallias take up more space in teh tank.
4) Did I mention Korallias are HUMONGOUSLY cheaper?

You don't NEED all the stuff Vortechs do for a thriving, successful reef. Sold mine 'casue I couldn't stand the sound it made - and no, my MP40 was not defective - it wasn't any louder than a standard MP40, was only a year old when I sold it. Waves are cool, but you can do the same thing with Korallias and a $40 wavemaker - and it will be quiet enough to have your tank next to your television - and still be able to hear what they're saying on your favorite program!

baggedtb
06/03/2011, 02:15 PM
I believe they are well worth the price and pay for their-selves quickly. I really like being able to change the mode to better replicate the ocean. Plus not have that additional power cord and heat source in the tank is a huge positive.

Pallobi
06/03/2011, 02:23 PM
I used to use 2 koralia magnum 8s and they don't even touch what my vortecs do in the same tank...

U get what u pay for in this hobby... if u buy cheap, that is what u get... if u buy quality, u usually dont look back...

The undertow effect itself and the healthy coral enviroment they create, is priceless...

lordofthereef
06/03/2011, 03:19 PM
"Worth the price" is up to you. You are getting a marginal bump in quality of water flow (IMO), for a premium price. I use vortechs and am happy with them, but it's not going to work miracles. If your tank is doing well now, I don't suspect you will see an overwhelming difference after the fact. The thing I like the most is the dispersion of the flow, though the koralia EVOs are pretty decent in that field too.

geccles
06/03/2011, 03:53 PM
I agree with pretty much everything said above - both good and bad. Are they nice? Yes. Are they expensive? Yes. Are they necessary? No. Your SPS look good as-is but more flow is always a good thing.

If you do take the plunge I think 2 MP10's on a 55 would be sufficient.

davocean
06/03/2011, 04:58 PM
I'll throw one more nice thing about vorts.
Not long ago I had some stray voltage, sure was nice to know my pumps couldn't be the source.
That's one less thing that could possibly fry my tank.
Wish they made heaters...

Faye
06/03/2011, 05:48 PM
I have an MP10. I think it is over priced. I like it because there is no wire in the tank.

yehchien
06/03/2011, 05:53 PM
I like my MP40's. I have them set to reef crest mode and synced. It creates periods of dead calm and then turbulence. I've seen Tunzes work as well but they're pretty big compared to vortechs. In a small tank, I would recommend the smallest footprint. Are they worth the price? Depends, I haven't seen anything else out there that can do what they do in such a small footprint. So EcoMarine can charge whatever they want they want. Try to get them used if you can.

Regardless of what you decide, you're tank looks like its doing awesome.

pmrossetti
06/03/2011, 05:55 PM
3 big reasons they're worth it not including flow.
1. no power cords in water
2 no added heat
3 easy battery back up available which could save your tank.

not favoring them over Tunze, just sayin'

Crkbaby
06/03/2011, 06:22 PM
I guess it depends on what you really want I have 2 mp 40 on antisync on my 120 gallon they are tuned pretty far down. 2 on a 55 gallon would be a rediculous waist of money in my opinion. 2 mp 10s would be much better and quieter, the vortechs have a break in period, they generally are louder at first and will quiet down after a good month. also I run fans for my MH in my canopy the fans are louder then the powerheads so I don't even notice them I see you don't. I had korilias in my old 41 gallon and they are fine also. so I guess it all depends on how nuts you want to go. I see in the pics you have your powerheads pointing to the surface people do this for gas exchange If you have a sump the water should be flowing down breaking up this causes gas exchange also so don't feel that you have to. I also use them because I love hammer corals and soft corals the pulsing is nice for movement. With this being said I have seen beautiful tanks with and without so I guarantee they are not needed. So its your call buy them and possibly regret it. Or don't and wonder with a pocket full of cash lol. also I see they are 220 for the mp10 thats 440 for both I paid 495 each for mine so Yes I would do it lol. ask yourself if you plan on upgrading in the future though because then you are wasting money

lordofthereef
06/03/2011, 07:06 PM
3 big reasons they're worth it not including flow.
1. no power cords in water
2 no added heat

not favoring them over Tunze, just sayin'

I'm with you on the power cord thing. On a larger tank, circulation pumps are going to add a negligible amount of heat though. I know a koralia will last about as long on a "normal" battery backup as will a vortech on their own branded backups.

ccalabro
06/03/2011, 07:14 PM
They move water in a way that no other pump can.

I agree, but perhaps with the possible exception of Tunze's.

chilwil84
06/03/2011, 07:24 PM
i have a maricultured tabling piece that i had a korilia 3 pointed at to keep happy, now the undertow of my mp40 (at 70%) keeps it happy. my old tunze nano or 6000 series (or 6100)pumps never had as good of undertow, and while they had geat flow it was no where near as broad and the 6000 was so direct it would blow the skin of a sps a foot away.

Dono
06/03/2011, 07:39 PM
Going from the Koralia to the Vortech you will notice a HUGE improvement in your tank. Not saying there aren't other great brands out there, but the Vortechs get great spread, amazing functionality (between their programmability and wireless control), and so on. I would definitely recommend 2 MP10's for your tank. I'm running a 75gal (which could have benefitted from 2 MP40s) but because of my budget I got 2 MP10s, and they are amazing. My tank is mixed reef and Im still getting great turnover rates with my return included.

tl dr;

-MP10s are the way to go
-Improved health of corals and detritus export
-very versatile (wireless control)
-yes they are worth the money imo

naterealbig
06/03/2011, 08:28 PM
I just set up three MP60W's on my 150 gallon tank, and considering everything that has already been mentioned in this thread (with emphasis on AMAZING customer service) they have been well worth the investment.

PROS:
1) very wide spread flow. They move enormous amounts of water at a relatively low velocity.
2) Watching the Ecosmart modes in action is wonderful. The standing waves that these pumps can create I have not seem matched by ANY other pump OR wave box.
3) They just look cool
4) Customer service is the best in the industry ( I know, because I have taken advantage of it)
5)"Upgradeability" - Ecotech has done an outstanding job of building their pumps such that you can upgrade and repair them as necessary. They are making new controllers that you can put on their old pumps to make them better. What other companies do this? There are very few.

6) Resale value; take a look on the used drygoods forum. You typically can get about 2/3rds what you originally paid for this pump. Even more if you bought it used. This is unheard of.

7) No heat transfer to the tank. Most would consider this a moot point, as most powerheads have a negligible watt-draw and thus a negligible heat transfer. Never-the-less, comparing watts to heat added to tank, the Vortechs are very low.

Cons
1) Price, although this is subjective. They are expensive, but your paying for the package deal. Think about it. Your buying pumps that talk to eachother. Wirelessly. Your paying for the customer service, the warranty, the research it takes to build and improve them, and the forethought to keep them upgradable in the future.

2) It is too bad that they can't be pointed in different directions. This is not an oversight however. Just something that is inherent in the design. Most of this is compensated in their incredibly wide flow.

3) There are no cords in the tank, but if you run the pumps in their recommended ecosmart configuration, there will be pump cords attached to the side of your tank. It is a touch unsightly, but an easy tradeoff for me. It is a big deal to some.

Some Things to Note:

a) There are many who will tell you that their Koralia's are just as good as any other power head. This is simply not true. Right before I purchased my vortechs, I had bought 2 Koralia II's (new style AC). Out of the box, one was extremely loud (louder than all 3 or my MP60's at 100%), and the other would spin the wrong direction half of the time it started. Koralias are ok pumps, and with enough, and assuming that your luck to get one that actually works, you can set up sufficient flow for any reef system. You have to compare apples to apples here, and comparing a Koralia (even the controllable one's) to a Vortech is just silly.

b) If you buy 2 MP40's now, you can upgrade your tank to about 150gallons and not have to buy another powerhead. This will save you money in the future. If you don't have the $$ for 2, just buy one, and replace one of your Koralias with it. Buy the second when ever you can.

c) If you know anyone with a vortech, stop by their place. Listen to them and see if the noise will bother you (probably won't). Watch them in different modes, and listen to what the owners have to say about them.

d) Do some research on the Tunze pumps too. I have never used them, but I am sure they are outstanding pumps as well.

e) Keep in mind that although 2 MP10's will be sufficient for your tank now, if you go any larger than a 55 you will either need another MP10 or you will have to go up in size on one of your Vortech's. Again, I would suggest buying a single 40 now, and buy a second one when you can afford it. Also keep in mind the tank wall thickness during your research. Different sizes have different maximum tank thicknesses on which they can operate.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision.

Nate

rbredding
06/03/2011, 08:28 PM

I know you said you weren't favoring them over tunze, but I'd like to point out something that most people dont know..

when purchasing a tunze controllable pump, if you buy a "safety connector - $40" you can use your own direct current battery (like a 24v radioshak battery - $50) as the backup..

so Tunze has a battery backup for less than $90...

Stuginski
06/04/2011, 12:25 AM
Hi reefers...

Wow...so many opinions!!!!

Today I put 1 MP40 on my reef (a friend lent me)...I removed the the 2 koralias from the tank and turned on the mp40 in one side....itīs soon to say something...I will use this pump for a week to test....but I have to down the pump to 50%...because the flow is absurd...Iīm operating in a mode.....and tomorrow I will try other modes to test (what do you recomend???)

First impressions:

estetic:

1-No wire in the tank -good!
2- Just one pump....the other side is empty now - very good!!! (if I buy two mp10...I will loose this effect)
3- little noise at 50%

flow:

1- Strong and wide....itīs obvious that the lower parts of my tank now are recieving much more flow ( yes I know that my evos was pointing to the top). I donīt know if this is really good...because I have Euphyllias and a bubble coral at the bottom...letīs see the polyp extension tomorrow...

modes:

I canīt evaluate this yet...what do you use????

Effect on my corals:

I canīt evaluate this yet too

Tomorrow I will try to ramp up a litle more maybe run in 70%....

Honestly I donīt want to use a vortech and a koralia in the other side...or I will use 1 Mp40...or 2 mp10....or I will continue with my koralias...at 50% I have some flow at the other extreme of the tank (I donīt know if its enough...letīs see the polyp extension tomorrow)
I like the evos...but obviously...they are different things...

I canīt decide yet.....

Thanks for everyone that helped me in this thread!!!! I read and respect all the opinions!!!! And you are helping me to much...to decide!

I think its almost a consensus that 2 mp10 are better than 1 mp40...but if I have a sufficient GOOD flow to my corals with just one pump...It will be great...because my reef is a two side view reef (front and lateral) and I will be happy with a glass without pump!!!!

Thanks for the words about my tank too!!!

Sorry for my terrible english...and please keep helping me!!!!

Hails from Brazil

D.

yehchien
06/04/2011, 01:20 AM
i think if you only use one pump, you could probably use the short pulse mode and tune it. You should be able to get a standing wave with that. I would suggest buying one pump rather than two mp10s. You'll probably want to upgrade your tank at some point.

bobbychullo
06/04/2011, 07:12 AM
i had a couple koralias

my 2 MP10's are so far out of the koralias league its not even funny. i had the koralias hooked up to my wave timer even

my tank loves my vortechs

well worth it in my opinion. i have 2 times the $$$ in coral in my tank as my 2 wireless vortechs, most people have thousands worth in coral and fish... think about that for a second, that alone makes it worth it to me... and aren't the tunze controllable pumps like $200+? then if you want to sync them you need a controller? not much price difference really...

dont get me wrong, i love tunze. but for flow, vortech is great imo. thats all vortech makes, powerheads, nothing else... they put all their R&D and money into developing powerheads... think about it

stevedola
06/04/2011, 08:10 AM
my mp10 is silent

Stuginski
06/04/2011, 03:49 PM
Hi reefers,,,,

Nothing new here...

Itīs really difficult to me found the sweet spot between happy euphyllias at the bottom and good flow to acroporas....

Iīm still in ecosmart mode but iīll try short pulse now...maybe a little wave could solve my problems....:-)

letīs see....

Hails from Brazil

D.

ReefKnot
06/04/2011, 03:55 PM
Ive got 2 mp10's in my 50g, (44"x14"x18") and I only really need them running from 30-60% power. They do the job really well, and the multiple modes really help to eliminate deadspots. There are a few nooks and cranies in my reef that were fairly stagnant until I put the mp10's in. Now I can actually see water moving in and out of them. Its worth the price, and personally I love having them, but they are not absolutely necessary.

davocean
06/04/2011, 04:35 PM
Hi reefers,,,,

Nothing new here...

Itīs really difficult to me found the sweet spot between happy euphyllias at the bottom and good flow to acroporas....

Iīm still in ecosmart mode but iīll try short pulse now...maybe a little wave could solve my problems....:-)

letīs see....

Hails from Brazil

D.

Maybe try reefcrest mode, that seems to be most popular, and what I run myself.
Vort placement is important as well, I also have a mixed reef, mine are fairly high up for heavier flow towards sps.

Faye
06/04/2011, 05:51 PM
I just set up three MP60W's on my 150 gallon tank, and considering everything that has already been mentioned in this thread (with emphasis on AMAZING customer service) they have been well worth the investment.

PROS:
1) very wide spread flow. They move enormous amounts of water at a relatively low velocity.
2) Watching the Ecosmart modes in action is wonderful. The standing waves that these pumps can create I have not seem matched by ANY other pump OR wave box.
3) They just look cool
4) Customer service is the best in the industry ( I know, because I have taken advantage of it)
5)"Upgradeability" - Ecotech has done an outstanding job of building their pumps such that you can upgrade and repair them as necessary. They are making new controllers that you can put on their old pumps to make them better. What other companies do this? There are very few.

6) Resale value; take a look on the used drygoods forum. You typically can get about 2/3rds what you originally paid for this pump. Even more if you bought it used. This is unheard of.

7) No heat transfer to the tank. Most would consider this a moot point, as most powerheads have a negligible watt-draw and thus a negligible heat transfer. Never-the-less, comparing watts to heat added to tank, the Vortechs are very low.

Cons
1) Price, although this is subjective. They are expensive, but your paying for the package deal. Think about it. Your buying pumps that talk to eachother. Wirelessly. Your paying for the customer service, the warranty, the research it takes to build and improve them, and the forethought to keep them upgradable in the future.

2) It is too bad that they can't be pointed in different directions. This is not an oversight however. Just something that is inherent in the design. Most of this is compensated in their incredibly wide flow.

3) There are no cords in the tank, but if you run the pumps in their recommended ecosmart configuration, there will be pump cords attached to the side of your tank. It is a touch unsightly, but an easy tradeoff for me. It is a big deal to some.

Some Things to Note:

a) There are many who will tell you that their Koralia's are just as good as any other power head. This is simply not true. Right before I purchased my vortechs, I had bought 2 Koralia II's (new style AC). Out of the box, one was extremely loud (louder than all 3 or my MP60's at 100%), and the other would spin the wrong direction half of the time it started. Koralias are ok pumps, and with enough, and assuming that your luck to get one that actually works, you can set up sufficient flow for any reef system. You have to compare apples to apples here, and comparing a Koralia (even the controllable one's) to a Vortech is just silly.

b) If you buy 2 MP40's now, you can upgrade your tank to about 150gallons and not have to buy another powerhead. This will save you money in the future. If you don't have the $$ for 2, just buy one, and replace one of your Koralias with it. Buy the second when ever you can.

c) If you know anyone with a vortech, stop by their place. Listen to them and see if the noise will bother you (probably won't). Watch them in different modes, and listen to what the owners have to say about them.

d) Do some research on the Tunze pumps too. I have never used them, but I am sure they are outstanding pumps as well.

e) Keep in mind that although 2 MP10's will be sufficient for your tank now, if you go any larger than a 55 you will either need another MP10 or you will have to go up in size on one of your Vortech's. Again, I would suggest buying a single 40 now, and buy a second one when you can afford it. Also keep in mind the tank wall thickness during your research. Different sizes have different maximum tank thicknesses on which they can operate.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision.

Nate

Everything you said in your post I agree with, but the only problem is pricing. You have a 150 gallon tank and you needed to take three $700 pumps that are rated for 1000 gallons to get the flow you want. To me this is unacceptable.

Nick_P
06/04/2011, 06:19 PM
Everything you said in your post I agree with, but the only problem is pricing. You have a 150 gallon tank and you needed to take three $700 pumps that are rated for 1000 gallons to get the flow you want. To me this is unacceptable.

Just because he uses 3 MP60s on his 150 does not mean that it takes 3 mp60s for a 150. I would wager 2 MP 40s would work for most people on a 150.

bobbychullo
06/04/2011, 06:31 PM
more pumps just adds flexibility and a little more control over the flow.

you can get by with one. the control you have with 2 or more is nice tho, my corals really responded when i added the 2nd.

and just so everyone realizes you can mix and match different size pumps. you could have 2 MP40s and an MP10. one MP40 and one MP10. you could have 3 MP60's, 4 MP40's and 6 MP10's. I believe you can have up to 6 master pumps with unlimited slaves....

my two koralias were so loud that my fish wouldn't even come out into the open until i removed them from the tank. they clicked every time they started up, i had them on a wave timer.... you wanna hear annoying, listen to "click, click" every several seconds all day... over and over and over...

cFloor
06/04/2011, 06:45 PM
this thread has been very helpful for me. I'm setting up a 4ft. 150 gal and I'm thinking about an upgrade from koralinas to vortech's.

jcw
06/04/2011, 08:56 PM
I have been and continue to be skeptical about the price point of the vortechs. For the price, i expected much more from the pump itself. Too much cheap looking/feeling plastic, too much slop/play.

There are many people that use tunze with very good results.

That hasn't stopped me from buying 3 used mp40s and now one used mp10.

They are just too user friendly and the controller very convenient.

naterealbig
06/04/2011, 09:12 PM

Nick P said it precisely. I don't need them, of course. One of the MP60's would provide plenty of flow to the tank. Hell, I don't even need the 60's. I had bought MP40's for the tank to begin with, but 3/4" thick glass was pushing the limits of the pump. Additionally, after I bought the mp60's my plan was to have them on the back glass, so I got three to really randomize things. I now have them in an ecosmart configuration, and run them at 40% NTM. Also, think about this: I could go up to like a 1000 gallon tank and never have to upgrade powerheads. This makes me happy :) .

Pallobi
06/04/2011, 09:25 PM
Just because he uses 3 MP60s on his 150 does not mean that it takes 3 mp60s for a 150. I would wager 2 MP 40s would work for most people on a 150.

agreed very much so... people need to think about it a little more before jumping to conclusion... 2 mp40s on a 150 would be jus fine... thats a far cry from $700 x 3...

and jus to note, they arent rated for 1000g's of flow each, they are rated for up to 1000 gallon tanks... each pump pushes like 6 or 7 thousand gph i believe...

like i dont NEED 2 mp40s for my 75g tank, i jus want them... 2 mp10s would most likely do fine too, i jus love to over kill it :)

Stuginski
06/04/2011, 09:36 PM
Hi reefers....

News....

Iīm currently run this mp40 at 40-50% in reefcrest mode...and it seems to be better....to be honest Iīm completely inclined to belive that just one pump could keep my tank!

Itīs very strange because only 40-50% produces so much flow...aparently more than two koralias

The chance to keep my tank with only 1 pump is very plesant...because like I said before...one of the lateral of my tank is in front of my hall...so I will be happy if I donīt need to put a pump in this side!

I will keep runing in this mode until tomorrow...letīs see the corals reactions...

Thankīs so much...this thread is helping me so much too!

Hails from Brazil

D.

Faye
06/05/2011, 11:28 AM
Hey I'm just going by what I read. He said he had three MP60's on 150 so I figured he wasn't getting the right flow with 1 or 2. I like the vortechs a lot because of the no wire concept in the tank. I'll probably continue to buy them but I do believe they are over priced. I have an MP10 on a 40B and I have it on reef crest mode, the max flow setting it goes up to is like 70 percent and every where in between. It spends most of it's time down at 30% flow rate. If I were growing acros I would need another pump, no doubt. But since there is onl zoas and RBTA+GBTA it really doesn't need heavy flow. I have had an MP40 on a 75, and while the MP40 fully cranked pushes a lot of water, you need another pump. The opposite side of the tank where the mp40 is pointing really dies down to almost no flow. My vortechs usually spend their time on constant speed mode.

Dan49
06/06/2011, 03:56 PM
Question what would be a fair price for a used aprox ,.1-2 year old mp10 old style.thanks ,

Lurking
06/06/2011, 04:29 PM
It depends on how sensitive you are to noise. Can you hear them. Yes you can. Is it a deal breaker for some. Yes, but they are in general very sensitive to noise and have a 100% silent setup.

Here is a video of 4x mp40. There are a lot of thinks you can hear in the video including the vortechs. Just noticed I got a thumbs down. :lol: @ sour grapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNYgEL1QEdc

[violation] I had this turned up all the way at work.:uzi:

Vadafallon
06/06/2011, 04:32 PM
Is one 40 enough for my 60 gallon? Will i actually get the wave effect?

lordofthereef
06/06/2011, 05:06 PM
Is one 40 enough for my 60 gallon? Will i actually get the wave effect?

I think it will, and yes, you should still get the wave effect.

Some people like to add more to have more control. When I see a TOTM with a bunch of vortechs added to it simply for more precise control, I will believe that statement. Not trying to be cynical, but I know some get into the habit of thinking that dumping money into all of your equipment will equate to success. (for the record, this statement is not directed towards anyone in particular here).

I second the statement that they feel a little cheap for what you are getting. I get that the price has to make up for R&D, but the profits they are pulling in far outweighs the R&D costs. That's business though. Sell it for what people are willing to pay for it.

snorvich
06/06/2011, 07:16 PM
[violation]

Please argue issues not ad hominem attacks against people. Your cooperation is appreciated. However, I too did not like the ending of the video.

tkeracer619
06/06/2011, 09:01 PM
:lol: good stuff!

davocean
06/06/2011, 09:06 PM
Son of a B I hate when vids do that!!!!!!!!!!!

reefsafe
06/06/2011, 09:48 PM
lol. awesome vid tkeracer

C0rp
06/06/2011, 10:11 PM
The undertow created by these pumps is what impresses me the most. I had koralia evos before vortechs. If you were to put one koralia evo on the side of a 75 and run it...then compare it to one vortech running in the tank it is truly no comparison.

tiffyreefer
06/07/2011, 07:27 AM
I have a 100 gallon rimless (unfortunately downgrading soon) and I love my MP40. I have had it running for over a year and only have one negative thing to say about it: SPS within 8 inches of it grew into a funny pattern toward the pump due to the tremendous flow it produces. I had it cranked up because the far side of the tank was a bit dead unless I did so. My suggestion like so many others is to get two. Sync them, and keep them at medium flow. If I was keeping my current size tank I'd be buying another one yesterday :)

rbredding
06/07/2011, 10:38 AM
Hey I'm just going by what I read. He said he had three MP60's on 150 so I figured he wasn't getting the right flow with 1 or 2.

actually, in order to take advantage of the "ecosmart" modes available with the ES version of the powerhead, 3 units must be installed...

so if you're only putting 1 or 2 units in your tank, you might as well be using the Generation 2 powerheads