PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Requirement for Red Australamussa??

chuckdallas
06/03/2011, 08:47 AM
I have a piece of red Australamussa just like this pic. It had been sitting about 12-14 inches below a 3-month old HO T5 fixture that was sitting on the top frame of the aquarium. I recently (2 months ago) got 2 X 60 Watt OCReef LED pendants, which are now suspended 12 inches over the water in middle of each half of the tank. My Australamussa has started to show some STN in one SMALL area. I've had phosphate swings from 0.03 to 0.12 in the last 2 months. All the other params are within accepted ranges. Would the RTN result from the increase in light or the phos changes? I have a BUNCH of ricordeas and Acans sitting about 5-8 inches below the surface and they are doing very well. I have a great Wellso on the sand about 23 inches from the top doing well. Everything else is doing well, so I'm trying to figure out where to place this now. I just moved it to the sand about 3-4 days ago, while I work the phos back down to 0.03 or lower.

organism
06/03/2011, 09:56 AM
Could be either one but my guess would be the lights, or possibly salinity. They do like lower light though, so moving it down will probably help :)

chuckdallas
06/03/2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks. I did move it down to the sand bad a couple of days ago, so I'll watch it to see if I need to move it in a semi-shaded spot. Will the red tissue grow back over the exposed skeleton if its happy and in a good spot?

organism
06/03/2011, 02:22 PM
It should, if it keeps peeling back though then it's probably some kind of water problem.

snorvich
06/03/2011, 04:20 PM
Could be either one but my guess would be the lights, or possibly salinity. They do like lower light though, so moving it down will probably help :)

My supposition as well. :D If you have a PAR meter, check out the quantity of light it is receiving.