PDA

View Full Version : ATO with Timer as backup. Timer Issues.

Essense
06/03/2011, 09:28 AM
I've got an ATO unit from autotopoff.com that has worked great in conjuction with a Tom's Aqua Lifter drawing a kalk solution from a now 8 gallon ATO container.at

I winessed one circumstance where the ATO got stuck in the on state. I cleaned the unit with RO/DI and vinegar and it has not got stuck since.

I decided to use a timer connected to the ATO unit in order to set a 3 minute on period 7x a day. This way the ATO only goes on during those three minute periods and if the water level is low. If the ATO is stuck in the on position it will only put water in the tank during these 3 minute periods and not until the ATO container is empty.

Problem I'm having is that when I set my timer for the correct time periods, it is resetting after 2 or 3 on cycles. I am wondering if perhaps the nature of the ATO device is sending some sort of surge or if it is such a low power draw that it is causing some issue with the timer. The same timer works fine for my lights and my fuge light. The timer as the same reset issue with my cooling fan.

Does anyone use a timer with their ATO, preferable digital that they can reccomend, or is it worthwhile to add a surge protector or other device between the timer and the ATO 3 prong?

iwishtofish
06/03/2011, 09:50 AM
This probably won't help you - but maybe. I recently installed an ATO from JBJ, and I think it got fried when we had a brief power outage and a probable surge when the power came back on. I ordered a new one and replaced the old controller with the new one. Then I had a problem with the unit freezing up, as if the timer had timed out. When I finally realized that wasn't the case, I began to suspect that the float switch in the freshwater reservoir was inadvertently shutting things down (short?). I removed that particular float switch, and things are running fine. I may, or may not, replace it with one of the new float switches.

I think it could definitely be beneficial to have a surge protector (a good one) between your power strip and the ATO.

Essense
06/03/2011, 10:06 AM
Nice, I am going to try that, thank you much.

disc1
06/03/2011, 11:46 AM
What kind of timer are you using?

Essense
06/03/2011, 12:28 PM
I'm using the Prime Wire & Cable: TN004000 Digital Timer. Bought from Fry's electronics.

Made for apliances/light fixtures.

disc1
06/03/2011, 01:26 PM
It shouldn't reset. Perhaps it is defective. If it works with the lights but not a pump then it is probably the "kick back" voltage spike that comes from starting up or stopping an electric motor. That shouldn't be resetting your timer. It should be protected from that.

Essense
06/03/2011, 04:46 PM
I think you are right because I notice the same reset behavior when I use the timer with my fan.

Essense
06/04/2011, 10:30 AM
I wanted to update and confirm that this was a "kick-back" voltage spike type of issue as disc1 had mentioned. I'm stuck with the timer so cheapest option was to grab a surge protector laying around, more wires and clutter under the tank is not what I would prefer, but it worked.

I put a surge protector between the timer and the ATO power and my timer has not reset for the last 5 on/off periods it runs. Prior to the surge protector it would reset withing 1-2 cycles. Its a bit much having to use a timer to control the entire surge strip just for one device, but it works and the peace of mind is very well worth it. Also in the case there is a future reset, the timer defaults to off which is much better than on.