PDA

View Full Version : How do you achieve 14,000k with LEDs??

Slimtruepimp
06/03/2011, 01:46 PM
I am trying to figure out how achieve 14,000K temp with led lights. I have been reading a lot and everyone just mixes blue and white. What exactly is the ratio of leds to achieve 14,000k?

ORayRay
06/03/2011, 01:50 PM
I don't think there is an exact ratio as certain LEDs have different colors best way to get a color temp is to use dimmable drivers

Slimtruepimp
06/03/2011, 02:00 PM
I don't think there is an exact ratio as certain LEDs have different colors best way to get a color temp is to use dimmable drivers

ok, thanks. what is the difference between blue and royal blue led's? i see some people use on or the other on there diy's.

jcw
06/03/2011, 02:01 PM
The AI Sol White pretty much looks 14K from what I've been told.

Slimtruepimp
06/03/2011, 02:27 PM
The AI Sol White pretty much looks 14K from what I've been told.

thanks, im trying to build my own LED setup

psteeleb
06/03/2011, 02:39 PM
I'm not an expert but from what I have read

using Cree XR-E's
one royal blue to one cool white will get you about 10k
two royal blues to one cool white will get your around 17-20k
so you may need to go 3 RB's to 2 CW's. Or, as sugested, use dimmable ballasts to get the color temp you want

the Royal Blues are closer to actinic then the regular blues and will give you that color pop

Slimtruepimp
06/03/2011, 03:35 PM
I'm not an expert but from what I have read

using Cree XR-E's
one royal blue to one cool white will get you about 10k
two royal blues to one cool white will get your around 17-20k
so you may need to go 3 RB's to 2 CW's. Or, as sugested, use dimmable ballasts to get the color temp you want

the Royal Blues are closer to actinic then the regular blues and will give you that color pop

thanks, i appreciate the help. i will post a build thread when i get everything ready

jcw
06/03/2011, 03:44 PM
thanks, im trying to build my own LED setup

Right, I'm saying maybe copy their led setup.

I think they give specs on their website.

Slimtruepimp
06/03/2011, 03:56 PM
Right, I'm saying maybe copy their led setup.

I think they give specs on their website.

i will look, i appreciate the help! it helps a lot

autopro
06/03/2011, 05:44 PM
Color is subjective, your best bet would be to use dimmers that way you can dial any color temperature you like best.

mudskipper1
06/03/2011, 06:02 PM
+1 on the dimmers, because what different people consider 14k varies greatly. My LED setup appears to be slightly less purple than a phoenix 14k, which is better in my opinion, and i run 4 neutral whites, 4 royal blues(all 3watts) and a 10 watt deeper blue from satistronics. I only have one driver, so I can't play with the color too much, but I like it a lot

lordofthereef
06/03/2011, 07:15 PM
what is the difference between blue and royal blue led's?

When looking at all royal blue or all blues together, they all just look blue. IMO, the royal blues are slightly purple. Again, this isn't noticable (to me anyway) when all you are looking at are the royal blues, but comparing a strip with RB versus just B, the RB looks a tad more purple. I have seen strips with a mix of the two, some that use just blues, and others that use royal blues. I think they all look pretty good, though my perosnal preference is more of a royal blue.