PDA

View Full Version : Preparations for my upcoming 240+ gallon Reef System.

TheFishTeen
06/03/2011, 02:37 PM
After mastering every end of the freshwater hobby, i'm now into reef tanks. I had a 30 gal. reef, that didn't get me too far,instead taught me what NOT to do.

Here's just a snippet of the oh-so-many things I learned over the years with my 30 gal.

1. NEVER USE TAP WATER IN A REEF TANK! My first year or so, i used conditioned tap water, and got some pretty nasty alge outbreaks. Me, a novice reef keeper, turned to the experts. From there I was educated about RO/DI units, and the whole theory of Phosphate free water.

2. Protein Skimmers make a BIG difference in the way your tank is maintained, thus I have made myself (and anyone who wants to join me) a rule: Always oversize, or get as big as possible of a skimmer.

3. Last, a large total water volume is essential in any aquarium, both freshwater and saltwater. The larger the tank, the less time you usually have to spend on the tank, in terms of maintaining water perimeters, keeping waste levels down, controlling parasite and disease outbreaks, etc.

So, I decided i am going to build a 120 Gallon reef tank, abiding by all the rules I have set for myself, essentially making my life easier, and the fish, corals and invert's lives happier. I know sooner or later, I will be upgrading to a larger tank, but for now 120 seems like it fits the bill.

So here are the plans for my tank:
The tank will be a glass 48 X 24 X 24, 120 gallon reef ready tank, probably Visio brand. (I really like the quality of their tanks)

Filtration:

Like I said above, water volume and skimmer sizes are key factors to a successful reef tank, so this tank will emphasize large sumps, and a large skimmer.

The plan: Water will drain via the internal overflow, through the wall to the fish room directly behind the main display tank, into a sump. Still deciding between a 60, 80, and 100 gallon sump. Will probably go with the 80. In the sump will be filter socks and the skimmer unless I go with an external skimmer.

Speaking of skimmers, I am considering either the AquaC EV-400, or two Reef Octopus 8. :confused:

From the sump, water will drain to a 40 gallon display refugium. The refugium is key for my tank as I plan on keeping a leopard wrasse, which diets on live copepods and amphipods, and the refugium will definitely be the place to find them.

Notice I called it a DISPLAY refugium. Yes, the refugium will be set-up as a display tank, everything in it will be neat and tidy, and I am considering housing see horses in it. Water from the refugium will return to the sump, and from the sump into a UV steralizer, then to the main display tank.

Next to the refugium, will be a 40 gal. quarantine tank, separate from the system. (Will not share same water/filters) All fish will be quarantined before entering into the main tank. There are no plans for a frag tank, but only time will tell.

I did my part in showing the filtration side of my tank (besides showing a diagram which is coming soon), now it's time for you to do yours. What are your thoughts, opinions, and comments.