PDA

View Full Version : SPS and LPS compatiblity issues

dgmanny
06/03/2011, 02:40 PM
I have a 72G mixed reef w/2-250MW and t5's for about 18months. I've noticed over the past three months that my SPS are doing very well, but my LPS (Brain and CC) have really shrunk back. I have a doser and my alk is ~9, calc 400, mag 1350 and phosphate 0 and nitrates 0. I thought the brain coral was dead for more than a month, but i moved it and the CC to a frag tank i recently set up and cycled and they have since come back great. I know SPS like low phosphates and nitrates, but could this cause problems with LPS? Any ideas on what might be causing the problem? I would like to keep the LPS in the DT not a frag tank.

Thanks,

anbosu
06/03/2011, 03:20 PM
Where did you have them in the tank? It is possible they were getting too much light, I guess.

snorvich
06/03/2011, 04:17 PM
I believe you will need less than 100 PAR for LPS. Also, generally low to moderate flow.

DownwardDawg
06/03/2011, 05:35 PM
I think LPS like it a little "dirty".

Gary Majchrzak
06/03/2011, 05:40 PM
"brain coral" is extremely vague.

"CC" = Caulastrea?

dgmanny
06/03/2011, 06:22 PM
I moved the brain coral (see attached photo) to a shaded low flow area in the DT but it didn't help. CC is candy cane coral. Not sure the name of the brain coral.

Gary Majchrzak
06/04/2011, 04:44 AM
cc = candycane = Caulastrea

your "brain" coral might be a Symphyllia

Caulastrea and Symphyllia should not be placed directly under intense lighting or in high water flow ...so the bottom half of the DT is usually the best spot for them.

generally speaking, all corals do better with low PO4 and low nitrates. (What tests did you use to get results of zero PO4 and nitrates?)

(don't confuse low PO4 and low nitrates with no food)

the aquarium in the picture attached above appears to be very sterile and would most very likely benefit from the addition of really LIVE liverock.

one other question: what fishes are in this aquarium?

jwoyshnar
06/04/2011, 06:12 AM
i think lps like it a little "dirty".

+1

bobbychullo
06/04/2011, 06:58 AM
I believe you will need less than 100 PAR for LPS. Also, generally low to moderate flow.

+1

My tank water is not "dirty". 0 nitrates, .01 (almost undetectable) phosphates. no algae issues at all. I feed my fish 2X a day (frozen food, no flake) and I target feed corals 3X a week. My LPS are thriving right along with my SPS...

do you feed your coral?

keep your corals fed and healthy. my LPS want to be fed a little more than the SPS in my tank. the SPS seem like they would do fine without a target feeding but growth is definitely faster with feedings. My LPS on the other hand, if I do not target feed look noticeably less inflated and not as colored up. When I target feed my LPS they look much healthier.

i also dose phytoplankton when i feed. my sponge, tunicate and filter feeder population is healthy and numerous (i have red feather duster worms that are reproducing in my tank) which i believe helps keep my water clean. I also believe it benefits some corals as they really dont know if some corals consume phytoplankton, zooplankton, both or something else (bacterioplankton etc...)

dgmanny
06/04/2011, 08:07 PM
I don't target feed my corals, so I will try that. I only feed my fish, which includes a pair of clowns, tang, goby, chromis, goby, and a gramma. I was just checking that there isn't a compatibility issue.
I use a Hanna phosphate meter and elos for nitrate. The LPS in the photo was in my frag tank. I had it in my main tank that has a lot of live rock, where it closed up for months. I always had it on the sand, out of direct light. Thanks for the help.