PDA

View Full Version : JBJ Auto Top off issue, any suggestions

slojmn
06/03/2011, 05:10 PM
Hi All,
My JBJ Auto top off unit does not seem to work properly or with any consistency. I can't quite figure out the issue. I have had it going for a over a year. Sometimes it works well, keeping up with with the evaporation. Then it will not keep up. I have found it to be a good inch below the float valve and no water coming out. If I turn it on and off, it will start running, filling my sump for a bit then shut off. I have opened up the unit to see if there is some timer that lets it run for only a few minutes as a safety precaution. I am not sure what to look for. Is there something I am missing? I know it is set up properly as it has worked for months at a time and then stopped working well, then will work for a few weeks. At this point I may just have to find a different product as I don't have confidence in the unit. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Indymann99
06/03/2011, 06:01 PM
I have had a JBJ working perfect for 3 yrs now, however I have read a lot of reports of problems.

They are pretty simple units... so it usually works or it doesnt..

NOTE the float switches do NOT have snail guards so that could be your problem.

Sorry I cant help more.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/Sump12132009.jpg

ludiNano
06/03/2011, 06:50 PM
I ran one with out any issues for over 1.5 years except forgetting to unplug it during water change....

Maybe the float needs a vinegar bath.

Madjamey
06/03/2011, 07:06 PM
I just installed a JBJ ATO on my tank 1 week ago and I seem to be having the same issue , it is set up using the single float switch option and running a AQUA LIFTER pump. It will run then shut off after a short period of time and the display will still show sensor 1 and the pump light will be on , what's the deal ??? Should they be used with larger tubing and a larger pump ( 1/2 & maxi jet ) ???

createdlight
06/03/2011, 07:50 PM
here the link you need to adjust the timer

http://www.marinedepot.com/dosing_pumps_top_off_jbj_ATO_water_level_controller_information-ap.html

Madjamey
06/03/2011, 08:14 PM
NICE !!! Thanks for the info , I'm sure that will do it.

navy crf
06/03/2011, 08:45 PM
I have had issues every so often with mine as well, but it is usually just the opposite where it will fill OVER the amount by about an inch. It does stick in the up position sometimes as well where the float is up but the water is lower than the switch. Each time this starts happening I clean off the float and that usually fixes it. With the situation you have it is almost like it creates a water suction between the float and the top of the switch (at least that is what seems to happen on my unit).

spseminara
06/03/2011, 10:30 PM
I had the same issue. Where did you get yours? I purchased mine at aquacave which is about a 40 minute drive from my house. I got home and spent an hour trying to get it to work. I went back (middle of a snowstorm) and we went through 4 of them before we got one that worked. Looks like they had a batch of bad floats.

iwishtofish
06/03/2011, 10:40 PM
I had the same issue. Sometimes when I'd been away for a while, I went to the tank and noticed the water level in the sump was far too low. I would reset the unit (turn off and on), and then it would recognize the water was low and start to fill. However, with the water so low, it would time out before getting the water to the correct level. On one occasion, it took 8 resets to get back up to normal.

So, I knew something was causing the unit to lock up - either the timeout safety precaution, or the float switch in my freshwater reservoir. When I unplugged the latter, the problem stopped. At least so far!

On one other occasion, we had a brief power failure at night. When I went to check the tank in the morning, the ATO wa completely dead. I believe a surge killed it when the power came back on. Had to buy a replacement.

HTH

Lynnmw1208
06/03/2011, 11:02 PM
I haven't had an issue with mine, but I seem to use a much bigger pump than others. I use a maxijet 400 for it so it tops back up to my line within 30 seconds. perhaps there were days that had more evaporation than others and your pump was moving the top off too slow? or the float switch needs cleaned. hope you solve your issue. let us know if it was the timer inside.

MJT82
06/04/2011, 06:03 AM
I had similar problems when I was trying to use too small of a pump to top off. I went with a 900 gph powerhead that I had sitting around for top off, and it really helped. Also, look at the link posted above on how to change the shut-off timer. If it's set too short, and you have a pump that is too slow to keep up, it will shut off and have to be reset manually. Mine is working fine now after making those adjustments.

geccles
06/04/2011, 06:44 AM
You just need to adjust the timer. Take the back off & there is a set screw you can turn to extend the time before the timer kicks in.

Wrobel278
06/04/2011, 10:20 AM
I have been using the JBJ for a couple of years now, with the same issue. I turned the internal timer all the way up, and that did not help. So I purchased a timer (http://www.petco.com/product/111981/Zoo-Med-AquaSun-Aquarium-Timer.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch), and have it set to reset the JBJ evry hour. It has been running this way for over two years now with no issues.

iwishtofish
06/04/2011, 10:29 AM
Of all of you that have had problems, are you generally running one float switch in the sump and one in the reservoir?

slojmn
06/04/2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all of the ideas. I am running one float switch in the sump and an aqualifter. In my case I would rather err on the side of not enough water going in the system rather than flooding the system and then my living room ;). I have a 15g reservoir sitting next to my sump. I went into the unit and set the blue switch all the way to the left, it did not seem to lock in place nor did it move much...I remember doing this in the past. I think it was pretty much set for extended use. I have a new float switch in use the past few months but I wonder about a little air lock in the float I'll keep an eye on it. I reset everything from scratch, sensor 1, mode A.

Wrobel278, I am curious what you mean by resetting the JBJ every hour?? Can you elaborate more on how this works?

Wrobel278
06/04/2011, 04:13 PM
When I first bought the JBJ at times the sensor would trip, and the pump light would go on but the pump itself would not. If I unpluged the ulint and plug it back in it would work fine again. I called Aqua Cave, explained the problem and got a replacement. The new unit had the same problem. So I solved the problem by pluging the unit into the above timer, which turns the power off every hour (just to be safe) for a while and goes back on resetting the JBJ. It has run this way without any issues for over two years. I am using one sensor in the sump, and an Aqua Lifter. Hope this helps.

slojmn
06/04/2011, 05:37 PM
Hmmmm, is that unit from PETCO that you posted like a traditional on/off timer from Home Depot?? I have a ton of those. I am thinking it must be different as it can turn your unit off every hour..so at least 12 switches on and off in a day, correct??

Wrobel278
06/05/2011, 04:29 AM
The Petco timer works on the same principle as the standard timer, but is designed a little different. It does not use the removable clips, instead it has 4 buttons for every hout that move up and down to swich the power on and off.

slojmn
06/06/2011, 08:57 AM
Ahhh, Thanks. I think I need to look into this unit. Since starting fresh with resetting the sensor unit and float valve along with turning the timer button I found the unit in full "on" mode and no water coming out, Arrrrgggg.

iwishtofish
06/06/2011, 09:11 AM
Ahhh, Thanks. I think I need to look into this unit. Since starting fresh with resetting the sensor unit and float valve along with turning the timer button I found the unit in full "on" mode and no water coming out, Arrrrgggg.

Ok, just to clarify - no float switch in the freshwater reservoir? I believe that was the cause of my problems. I run only one float switch at the moment.

It seems like your controller couldn't have timed out, this time...

Wrobel278
06/06/2011, 05:45 PM
This is what my (Marineland Aquarium Light Timer) looks like set For the JBJ. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4586&pictureid=31730
I thought it was the one I posted above, but it is not.

Wrobel278
06/06/2011, 05:49 PM
Im not sure how to post pictures, but if someone feels like enlightening me, I would appreciate it.

Indymann99
06/06/2011, 08:23 PM
Of all of you that have had problems, are you generally running one float switch in the sump and one in the reservoir?

FYI running 2 floats (1) in Sump (1) in ATO container -using small rio pump.. ... NO probs for 3yr for me.

Joshnlaura
06/07/2011, 02:01 PM
I just installed more of a home made unit but it has been running nicely for about week now. I have included my schematic I made in Excel. I am running a 200GPH pump on this. Its a recirculating system since the lines run under the house and could easily freeze in the winter. I got the 3-way 12vdc solenoid from "valves for projects" online. See what you think......