PDA

View Full Version : What is this stuff?

shlap
06/03/2011, 07:59 PM
I've had this tank running for about 6 months now and can't seem to get rid of it..

It look's a lot like cyano but it's mostly brown and green rather than the usual purple/red.

NO3 and PO4 are undetectable.

Is it cyanobacteria or something else?

shlap
06/07/2011, 08:16 PM
No one knows? It's like snot and it won't go away!

ChrisKirkland
06/07/2011, 08:17 PM
Looks like dinos from the photo... How much do you feed? What are your current tank parameters?

cloak
06/07/2011, 08:18 PM
Dinoflagellates? It does kinda look like cyno though.

shlap
06/07/2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I feed a mix of PE mysis, emerald entre, and marine cuisine 3 times a day. It's really strange that I would have dino's as I used all dried cleaned base rock. This stuff was totally white!

Also, I haven't lost any fish or CUC for 6 months. (maybe a few snails). Does that make it sound more like bacteria/cyno?

EDIT: AP tests for Nitrates and Phosphates show 0.

cloak
06/07/2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I feed a mix of PE mysis, emerald entre, and marine cuisine 3 times a day. It's really strange that I would have dino's as I used all dried cleaned base rock. This stuff was totally white!

Also, I haven't lost any fish or CUC for 6 months. (maybe a few snails). Does that make it sound more like bacteria/cyno?

Three times a day? How many fish do you have? How big is the tank? Almost a prelude...

ChrisKirkland
06/07/2011, 08:50 PM

That is WAY too much food, I would be feeding around once every other day. Waht type of fish do you have? The reason you have dinos or even cyno at that is because of the excess nutrient. You are showing no nitrates or phosphates because the dino's or cyno is absorbing it all. Would most definitely cut back on feeding and try lights out for 2-3 days.

ChrisKirkland
06/07/2011, 08:51 PM

Dinos and cyno bacteria are both photosynthetic which means an lights out period for 2-3 days will rid you of the problem. However they WILL return if the feeding problem is not corrected.

shlap
06/07/2011, 09:24 PM
Really? Everything I've read says that most fish need to eat at least 3 times/day. I don't feed an entire cube of each every day. 3 cubes (1 of each) lasts me about a week. I mix the 3 cubes up with garlic and just get a little out with a fork each time I feed.

I have:

1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Yellow Tang
2 Lyretail Anthias
1 Mandarin
1 yellow watchman goby
1 flame angel
Around 150 blue leg crabs
Around 100 cerith snails

Do you guys still think I feed too much?

cloak
06/08/2011, 06:32 PM
A hungry fish is a healthy fish IMO. Slow down... "If it looks cool, it's cool..."