PDA

View Full Version : Concept Stage: Rimless allover overflow

chaynes
06/03/2011, 10:40 PM
Ok i am just in the concept stage I have some parts just testing before using an actual tank. Probably test with a 10g or 20g regular tank before I custom make a tank to fit.

What I have so far is a IRP IRP-060 26in x 36in base. A return pump and hose. Plastic bin to test with and a clip on blue party light.

chaynes
06/03/2011, 11:11 PM
And a video so maybe it makes more sense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC8fiJ0q2vU

SkullV
06/03/2011, 11:26 PM
Google zero edge aquariums. They already make what you are talking about. People DIY them all the time.

chaynes
06/04/2011, 12:40 AM
Yeah I have seen one before in person in action. Concept here is using this "beer" tub as the base. I have made another step and now have a Glass tank sitting inside working better than the tub that bowed. It's a 20g extra high and I have about 45-50 gallons total water.

chaynes
06/04/2011, 12:44 AM
Did I mention I have Zero dollars in the build so far have used free or already had laying around materials.

chaynes
06/04/2011, 08:23 AM
Using a IRP-060 26in x 36in for a base. These are typically filled with ice and beer or other beverages placed in them for display. They are NSF certified, has a drain port, has wheels to roll around and has a leak guarantee.

Stage 2 using a 22g extra tall with better results.

1. Like a said just a few hours and ZERO dollars into this project so far. What I would like to do is first find some better pipe that I can paint to blend in and not stand out so much. So keeping a look out for pvc scraps as I do not need much.

2. Next would like a metal halide pendant rather than the current power compact using up top. Or maybe even LED if I can get a good enough deal or DIY.

3. Third I would like to upgrade the tank to a custom rimless tank with zero edge. One that fit the dimensions of the box better.

chaynes
06/07/2011, 11:48 AM
Ok added a pedelstal used an exersize stair stepper base and raised it about 7" up, now only one inch is hid and there is no sandbed just BB.

Two things I noticed since this change.

1. Have alot more flow coming over the sides. Not sure how I got this gain.
2. Had to add 10 more gallons of water to the system. Gained I suspect from lack of displacement.

chaynes
06/26/2011, 08:48 AM
Well did a major upgrade today with this system to a 60g Cube display which is a huge improvement from the 25g in looks and water volume. Total water volume is 85-90 gallons now.

Was alot of work because the wheels where not strong enough they started buckling about halfway with the water fill up, I panic'd and quickly drain the water back out broke it down completely then took the wheels off.

Then had to break down a second time because of the way I had setup my levelers was wrong with it totally full. So I got alot of exercise breaking it down and putting it back up twice. This is my first cube shaped tank and so far I am enjoying it.

Decided to put a DSB in as much as I like BB it's alot of work all the time siphoning out the detritis, plus with the DSB brings the viewing level up with the display to the correct height.

There is a brace in the center and trim in the future since there seems to be very little to no tension on the brace, I am going to see if I can remove the trim and brace. If there seems to be problems I will just add an acrylic brace. With the length of this tank too I have better lighting options available already here so can kick start that as well. All in all I really like this style of overflow, I got it setup so it overflows coast to coast on one side. Ohh and I broke my heater I forgot to unplug it and pored water on top, crack. Ohh well it was like 15 years old so got my moneys worth and I got several spares anyways.

chaynes
06/27/2011, 05:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FSpaD48ZGw

New video of the setup.

chaynes
06/29/2011, 09:05 PM
Modified my Aqua Clear 402 powerhead with a toy propeller I got from the Dollar store. Trimmed it and bent it and the powerhead creates a vortex unless i put it a few inches under the water. Flow feels more powerful than my Koralia 1200gph. Got another one I may do the mod on down the road some.

chaynes
07/08/2011, 12:06 AM
Upgraded the lighting which cleaned up the overall look of the tank, plus the actinics are sweeeeeet.