PDA

View Full Version : Debating on what to include in my new refugium...

MJT82
06/04/2011, 10:58 AM
I'm planning the setup of my refugium, and I have about 10 lbs of live rock rubble (2-3 inch pieces) that I am debating on including. Primarily, I'd like the refugium to be a place for microfauna to breed, but nutrient export would be a plus. In the past I have included both in my fuges, but now I am torn as to which direction I want to take... My options include:

1) Rubble only
2) Rubble and chaeto
3) Chaeto only

My thinking is that the rubble may trap alot of detritus and become a maintenance issue, but could this be remedied by increasing the flow and including a slightly elevated "floor" to keep water flow under the rubble and thereby giving detritus less chance to build up. At the same time, the chaeto could provide an area for the microfauna to breed while providing nutrient export. What I'd like to hear is you guy's opinions on what might be the best combination to use and why. What have you done in the past in this regard? I have a 8 gallon rubbermade tub that I have plumbed into my system for a fuge, so I have limited space to work with as well. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Pylos
06/04/2011, 01:50 PM
Your assumptions are on point. I did rubble and macro, because I have a lot of active pod eaters and wanted to give the pods surface area to breed and stay out of the light. Mine is bare bottom with rubble stacked on one side and the macro in the middle.

As for detritus I just make sure to pick up all the rubble once every other water change and siphon out the junk the builds up. If you are not active on maintenance that detritus can build up quick. But if you are the kind of person that has his hands in the tank often I'd go for the best of both worlds.