PDA

View Full Version : Algae ID Please

mike5051
06/04/2011, 03:43 PM
OK, tank was set up Jan 15th, cycling with dead shrimp. Ammonia was steady zero and added CUC Feb 17th. Chaeto was added to the fuge at this time also, but it slowly died in the next week or so. Canopy was completed on March 15th, and 2 X 250W MH lighting was now included. Started adding corals. Fish were quarantined for 3-4 weeks before adding to DT. I use RO/DI, and 10% water change every other week. I haven't experienced an "algae bloom" to speak of in the DT, but the fuge and overflow are full of this stuff. Nothing eats it so it just spreads, and now its growing on the returns and heater in the DT. Is it part of the new tank process and will go away after its time? It doesn't appear to be harmful.

thebkramer
06/04/2011, 03:45 PM
Looks like GHA (green hair algae)

what are your water params?? nitrates & phosphates??

mike5051
06/04/2011, 04:08 PM
Tested Nitrates and phosphates, both are zero. I did perform a 10% water change earlier today.

I was thinking GHA also, but it the leaves have a fern like appearance, and it isn't growing on any rock.

sporto0
06/04/2011, 05:12 PM
kind of looks like bryopsis, are the ends feathery? if so search this site for the "tech-m magnesium" treatment, it works quite well. regular gha is usually eaten by your cuc.

papawheelie
06/04/2011, 06:19 PM
If it is fern-like, it is Byopsis. Kind of hard to get rid of, but like sporto0 said, the magnesium treatment has seemed to work for most.

mike5051
06/04/2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks folks,

I beleive it is bryopsis also. I'll get the magnesium treatment.

hollister
06/04/2011, 06:35 PM
Better water flow with better feeding habits and more soft coral would help.

Better flow means less food and waste settle on rocks and sand , and give better gas exchange at the surface.
Feed less amount but 2 or 3 times a day to reduce waste.
And more soft coral will absorbe unwanted waste.

But if the pic u showed is recent , i must say its looking like the glass is half full. :)

mike5051
06/04/2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah the pic was just taken. I'm also learning how to use my girlfriends digital SLR camera, so I'm kinda experimenting.:)