PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Biocubes

Fishfish0001
06/04/2011, 03:49 PM
My Biocube's Hood has apparently just shorted out the entire Kitchen. Lovely.

Anyone know where to get a new one, or should I just scrap the whole tank and buy a new one? Really [****es me off. I took it off, and took off the covering to check the wiring to make sure they hadn't come undone, and boom, whole kitchen goes out.

Anyone else had this happen?

Edit: Lovely, it blew out the GFCI somehow too, can't even reset it now.

Edit2: Fixed the Kitchen. Luckily they were all hooked up to a GFCI outlet, and resetting that one restored flow to the others. Only one I can't fix is the bathroom one, which is only one outlet, but the only one I have :|

greech
06/04/2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry to hear. Maybe just buy a a new light fixture and go open top. Maybe a nice LED, T5 of halide to open your options?

Db366
06/04/2011, 05:26 PM
That really sucks man. You could check into the aquatraders lights, they are cheap and have been getting better and better feedback throughout the years.

Faye
06/04/2011, 05:58 PM
If the whole kitchen went out that means you're on one circuit. Are you sure you arn't just pulling more amps than said circuit can handle?

jbowen
06/04/2011, 06:24 PM
I'd go with an open top or retrofit the cube with LEDs

Fishfish0001
06/04/2011, 08:47 PM
Faye- It was defiantly a short circuit. My room alone pulls more power than the kitchen. It also tripped both GFCI's, which is why part of the kitchen went out. The kitchen GFCI is 2nd on the circuit, so if it trips, then everything after it (where the tank was) goes off too. It tripped the bathroom one oo, but that one won't turn back on, so tomorrow I need to check the breaker box, and if thats fine, then I just need to replace the outlet thing, which isn't that expensive. Its kinda scary, glad it didn't occur on the power strip the tank is on, or everything would have been blown out.

Fishfish0001
06/04/2011, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear. Maybe just buy a a new light fixture and go open top. Maybe a nice LED, T5 of halide to open your options?

I would, but Halide would roast the tank :p And I have evaporation issues already with the lid on. Will probably just buy a new lid for it, unless I can find a cheap effective open top solution.

AI Sol Nano could be fin, but its a tad expensive.

Kerreefer
06/04/2011, 08:55 PM
gah that sucks. i like a dedicated circuit for my tanks. that way this dont happen.

Fishfish0001
06/04/2011, 09:00 PM
What sucks more is that now I have to find a new top, or some type of lighting :\

Damn lids are the same price as a new tank too :(

Kerreefer
06/04/2011, 09:02 PM
thats bs, but everything is throw away these days. its very sad indeed.

Fishfish0001
06/04/2011, 10:00 PM
I was hoping it was the ballast or just a bad bulb. Nope... it fried the first bulb and shorted the house. >.<

Fishfish0001
06/05/2011, 08:01 AM
Ok, fixed all the Outlet issues. Our house, while new, is wired oddly, so I had to reset the outlet in the bathroom across the house for some reason.

Anyways, I'm thinking some type of LED hanging fixture, like the AI SOL nano, or something cheaper. Any suggestions?