PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to upsize a FOWLR tank from 45g to 90g

ColinPrice
06/04/2011, 05:24 PM
Im wanting to upsize my 45g FOWLR tank to a 90g.
My tank consists of:
30lbs of Live sand
60-70lbs of live rock
Bakpak 2 protein skimmer
2 powerheads
Ornate Wrasse
Flame Angel
2 False Clowns
Foxface Rabbit fish

I know I'm going to need more sand and more live rock. What's the best way to handle this? Is the new tank going to have to cycle? Should I put the old live rock into the new tank immediately with the new live rock if does have to cycle? I'd prefer to not have both tanks running at the same time. Since this will have a mix of old rock/old sand and new rock/sand what should I do with the fish?

My other question is I'd like to upgrade my lighting on the new 90g tank with T5 lighting and 2 Bakpak protein skimmers as I wont have the money for a sump/refegium for a while. Will the lighting and skimmers be enough to add some corals?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

sporto0
06/04/2011, 05:41 PM
well i just upraded my 55g reef to a 90g & i completely replaced my crushed coral substrate with aragonite sand & used my existing live rock after a thorough scrubbing about a month ago & i have not had a spike in ammonia or nitrites, all corals survived. if you get the new rock already cured you should not have any problems. i used rubbermaid tubs to hold my rock, fish & corals during the change. as for your lighting/coral question, i'm sure some softies & select lps corals will be fine, i have not personally used just flo lights for my corals but there have been many people who have with success. good luck with your upgrade!

hollister
06/04/2011, 06:26 PM
I dont think i would use the sand or atleast all of it. I would set it up with new sand and some water ( take 30 % from old tank while doing a water change ) and a few cups of old sand on new sand and a few Live rocks with a couple powerheads and then let it cycle before adding stock and LR. If u can spread this out over a few weeks for best results.

But since u have Fish only u might get away with useing all the water from old tank and LR with dead base sand and reduceing the lighting time a few weeks. This would work fine as long as your system now is in great shape and your stock is not stressed.