PDA

View Full Version : (alright, here goes)Can I see pics of your CRUSHED CORAL tank,pleeeaaase???

pmrossetti
06/04/2011, 06:59 PM
If there are any out there.Thinking of using #4 size 1" bed in next tank. Yes, you can try to talk me out of it if you like. I'm open.

Tropic Eden Reeflakes almost qualifies at 3mm, but found some beautiful stuff online at reefsand.com.

pretty pleeaase :)

hollister
06/04/2011, 07:09 PM
Crushed coral would not be a good idea. Cant tell u how many people wish they didnt do that.

Its a nitrate nightmare and no CUC can cure it. With Sand u get more worms and u could use nass. snails and with proper water flow will convert ammonia to O2.

muttley000
06/04/2011, 07:30 PM
pmrossetti has been around the block a few times and I would guess he knows what he is up to here!

My tanks all have sand and I am of no help to you here

Can you tell us what your up to ;)

jcw
06/04/2011, 07:35 PM
Anything in particular you want to see? I have one set up for 6 months.
Too much coralline on the glass for pictures, though. Tommorrow is cleaning day.

albano
06/04/2011, 07:37 PM
I have quite a few pics...from the 1970's & 80's

pmrossetti
06/04/2011, 07:38 PM
up to wanting to see crushed coral tanks, that's all.
thinking it's easy to vacuum and keeps good oxygen levels throughout.

pmrossetti
06/04/2011, 07:42 PM
Anything in particular you want to see? I have one set up for 6 months.
Too much coralline on the glass for pictures, though. Tommorrow is cleaning day.

Just how the tank looks with the cc bed. I think I like the look of it, just would like to see some.
there's different grades/types as well.

Coralline is good.:)

sporto0
06/04/2011, 07:46 PM
i wish i could i post a pic of my crushed coral tank, so that you would think twice about trying it, i had the worse case of gha you could imagine before i swapped the substrate for sand. the mud that was at the bottom of the tank literally had me gagging & i vacuumed it once a week as good as i could, i would never have been able to reduce the nutrients & phosphates in that tank in a million years. but hey prove me wrong.

hollister
06/04/2011, 07:46 PM
Well for good O2 saturation solid steady water flow is best as O2 is drawn from the surface. If you want lower ammonia levels then a aged SB with good water flow is better. CC will only create a nitrate nightmare....

pmrossetti
06/04/2011, 07:51 PM
i wish i could i post a pic of my crushed coral tank, so that you would think twice about trying it, i had the worse case of gha you could imagine before i swapped the substrate for sand. the mud that was at the bottom of the tank literally had me gagging & i vacuumed it once a week as good as i could, i would never have been able to reduce the nutrients & phosphates in that tank in a million years. but hey prove me wrong.

wow, sounds bad. how could it be that bad with vacuuming?

sporto0
06/04/2011, 07:59 PM
well of course there were corals i had to go around & it was a 55 so with all the live rock did not leave much room on either side or in front, trust me it was a nightmare! under the LR was putrid, detritus collects and works its way to the bottom, also there were some scary lookin bristle worms down there. i dont think cuc was able to penetrate enough to make a difference but like i said before prove me wrong.

pmrossetti
06/04/2011, 08:11 PM
well of course there were corals i had to go around & it was a 55 so with all the live rock did not leave much room on either side or in front, trust me it was a nightmare! under the LR was putrid, detritus collects and works its way to the bottom, also there were some scary lookin bristle worms down there. i dont think cuc was able to penetrate enough to make a difference but like i said before prove me wrong.

i think from what you described, the same would have occurred with sand.
stir a sandbed sometime and see what wafts up.

sporto0
06/04/2011, 08:47 PM
found a pic for you, before & after. also upgraded to 90g

sporto0
06/04/2011, 08:54 PM
i think from what you described, the same would have occurred with sand.
stir a sandbed sometime and see what wafts up.

my fowlr is sand, no way near as severe when i stir the sand!

pmrossetti
06/04/2011, 09:00 PM
my fowlr is sand, no way near as severe when i stir the sand!

thanks for the pics, you make a good case. nice tank.

mgraf
06/04/2011, 10:50 PM
I have a crushed coral and sand mix in a 65 with a 20 gallon sump. I wanted some larger pieces so my pistol could build his caves. I add more sand now and again, I also vacum where I can when I do a bi-monthly water change. I also have an algae scrubber incorporated in my sump which is a nitrate and phosphate eating machine. I wouldn't recomend with a sps tank but, I have all softies and lps, couple hardy lps. I do not ever test high for nitrates and phosphates. I have a heavy bioload so the water changes with vacuming IMO works for me. No algae in the display other than coraline!

pmrossetti
06/04/2011, 11:00 PM
I have a crushed coral and sand mix in a 65 with a 20 gallon sump. I wanted some larger pieces so my pistol could build his caves. I add more sand now and again, I also vacum where I can when I do a bi-monthly water change. I also have an algae scrubber incorporated in my sump which is a nitrate and phosphate eating machine. I wouldn't recomend with a sps tank but, I have all softies and lps, couple hardy lps. I do not ever test high for nitrates and phosphates. I have a heavy bioload so the water changes with vacuming IMO works for me. No algae in the display other than coraline!

thank you

Anemone
06/04/2011, 11:06 PM
Crushed coral in my 65 gallon. I've added a little finer sand over the years. Anywhere from 2-5 inches deep. Tank's been up since 1994.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x180/kevnkelk/IMG_2678.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x180/kevnkelk/AnemsRS1.jpg

Thrse two keep the substrate somewhat mixed.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x180/kevnkelk/PistolShrimp1.jpg
Kevin

pmrossetti
06/04/2011, 11:26 PM
Crushed coral in my 65 gallon. I've added a little finer sand over the years. Anywhere from 2-5 inches deep. Tank's been up since 1994.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x180/kevnkelk/IMG_2678.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x180/kevnkelk/AnemsRS1.jpg

Thrse two keep the substrate somewhat mixed.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x180/kevnkelk/PistolShrimp1.jpg
Kevin

Wow, awesome. do you vacuum the cc?

Anemone
06/04/2011, 11:32 PM
Wow, awesome. do you vacuum the cc?

Did for the first 5 years or so, until I added some smaller stuff. Then I stopped.

Kevin