PDA

View Full Version : Mocha and Fancy Ocellaris

zeeter
06/04/2011, 08:13 PM
Has anyone ever put a mocha together with a fancy Ocellaris? They're the same species so they should mate. Just wondering what the results will be.

Pickle010
06/04/2011, 11:26 PM
They would definitely be compatible - I don't know what the fry would look like. It would be cool to get some Fancy Mocha's. I have a female Fancy and I love her markings.

zeeter
06/05/2011, 09:25 AM
If memory serves me the offspring take the striping of the male, and this fancy is a juvenile so I may be in luck.

zeeter
06/06/2011, 09:17 AM
Well that didn't turn out too well. I put the fancy in with the mocha and the mocha grabbed him by the tail and started spinning him around. They're both juveniles, by the way. I separated them, then a minute later the mocha did it again. I broke it up and watched them for about 20 minutes. He kept taking an aggressive stance to the fancy so I took the fancy out, since he cost me a pretty penny. Maybe I'll try again after work since I'll have more time to introduce them.

reefstew
06/06/2011, 09:41 AM
What is a fancy ocellaris & what did you pay for the mocha? Do you have any pictures of both of them?

zeeter
06/06/2011, 11:00 AM
Just google "Fancy Ocellaris Pictures." They're ocellaris with striping not unlike a semi-picasso. You can google mocha ocellaris pictures, too. For the sake of those who don't know, I believe they are a mix of australian (black) and regular ocellaris giving them a softer blackish/brown color.

I forget what I paid for the mocha. Pretty sure it was less than $30. Might have been $25. The fancy was $80.

reefstew
06/06/2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. The mocha is a dark ocellaris or a not so dark black. I am currently raising them & have quite a few. But the pictures on the fancy? Still confused. Some are dark, & some just bold in color. The center bar is slighly longer pointed toward the head. I think it is getting crazy with all the names of these fish & it will be hard to tell what your buying. I breed clownfish & have some of the high dollar ones.

zeeter
06/07/2011, 07:37 AM
Sorry - I guess I gave a bad search term as a lot of people call their clowns "fancy". See the link below for a picture of what I have. I've seen these at several locations labeled as fancy so I believe it is a somewhat official name for them.

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/instockalert.asp?cid=360&pid=10376&did=11&sku=016005

Another one. This looks more like the one I have:
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=9716&cid=361

reefstew
06/07/2011, 09:21 AM
Now that is a nice looking clownfish. But tell me the difference between a fancy & a snowflake. I have a pair of snowflakes & the major difference is mine have more black on it.

zeeter
06/07/2011, 10:44 AM
A snowflake has no real pattern to the coloration. It is basically a clown with a big patch of white for the middle stripe. The fancy is the result of the pairing of a wyoming white ocellaris (the ocellaris version of platinum) and a normal ocellaris.

Timbits
06/08/2011, 04:51 AM
interesting... how would you get a snowflake then?

zeeter
06/08/2011, 09:00 AM
I looked for that but couldn't find anything written. My guess is that they are a culmination of misbars over time, but again - I couldn't say for sure.

duncaholic
06/08/2011, 05:53 PM
I looked for that but couldn't find anything written. My guess is that they are a culmination of misbars over time, but again - I couldn't say for sure.

Not claiming any ability to back this statement up, but a guy I have always found to be really knowledgable told me that the "snowflake" pattern is a naturally occuring, genetically stable, morph. Much like the "picasso" barring in the percs. He said that inbreeding has made the morph much more prevelant and apparent in CB fish than is normally found in nature.