PDA

View Full Version : What can be done to reuse the QT to quarent corals after treating fishes with cupper?

joaovieira
06/05/2011, 05:12 AM
After having experienced many fish losses due ich i have decided to set up a quarentine tank.

If in the future i need to treat fishes with copper in my QT, what should i do next to reuse the QT to quarentine corals inverts?

Thanks everyone

muttley000
06/05/2011, 06:16 AM
I good cleaning with vinegar, and run some poly filter when you set it back up to make sure you are good to go. My opinion is that the likelyhood of a proplem is greatly exagerated.

dixiedog
06/05/2011, 06:40 AM
I tend to agree with mutley000, although I haven't tried it. A complete cleaning, run some carbon ... I'd be pretty confident.

I'm actually in a unique position to try this right now. My fish qt has been cleaned out and refilled for a month, running carbon ... maybe I'll throw some frags in there from the coral qt just in the name of science.

Ron Reefman
06/05/2011, 06:40 AM
How big a QT do you have? I quarantine EVERYTHING that comes into our tank. I do 10g QT and I have one for treating with copper and another tank for everything else. But I agree with Muttley in that the problem is a little over blown. Clean the tank with bleach and then vinegar then water (maybe twice) and you shouldn't have any problems.

joaovieira
06/05/2011, 07:56 AM
My QT has 50 Gallons. Thanks very much for all the informations provided.

joaovieira
06/05/2011, 07:59 AM
Dixidog if you do that experience please let me know the outcome. Best regards

pmrossetti
06/05/2011, 12:44 PM
i think it's a good idea to have 2 qt., a 10g for corals/inverts, a 20g or larger for fish. easier in fact, i think.

Fishfish0001
06/05/2011, 12:50 PM
You don't even need to treat the fish with copper right away do you? Just monitor them and treat if needed, will save you a ton of time if you don't have to constantly clean the tank.

dixiedog
06/06/2011, 12:04 PM
Dixidog if you do that experience please let me know the outcome. Best regards

Okay, the experiment is underway. About 24 hours ago I placed some zoas and two different acans into the fish QT. No problem so far. I don't know how long they have to be in there before success can be claimed, but they'll be there for at least a couple weeks. I'll post here if there are any issues, otherwise, rest assured there weren't.

Incidentally, I run an Aquaclear 70 on this tank, with two sponges in it instead of just one. The sponges were rinsed in tap water and re-used, after being used for two copper treating cycles. I mention this because internet wisdom says they will leach copper and should be discarded.

But I am still running carbon, just to be on the safe side.