PDA

View Full Version : ok to blow cold air from ac direct onto glass tank for cooling ?

j-123
06/05/2011, 08:19 AM
hi ,

any one seen any issues with this ,

i have window ac unit right next to glass 58 gal tank,,,

blowing onto tank for cooling ,,, so just the one part of back side glass of tank gets cold .

then tank cools off , untill next cycle temp cycle.

just seeing if anyone has seen issues with doing this instead of using chiller ?

ok, thanks

Bilk
06/05/2011, 08:27 AM
Seems it will be difficult to control how much cooling the tank receives and your heater may go bonkers, but it can't hurt to experiment and keep an eye on things.

j-123
06/05/2011, 08:31 AM
to clarify :::

i have temp controll ok,,, using apex controller ,,,

keeps temp right on 78 degrees,

question is having cold air hit one part of glass cause uneven cold hot spots ,

anyone seen this cause tank glass seems to fail over long time period ?

thanks

justisathomesea
06/05/2011, 08:34 AM
I would think it could work but the main concern would be condensation from the cold air hitting the tank and it being warm from lights and the water. That could cause some other major problems. That's what I would pay attention for and make sure its not a problem.

sent from my hand held computer

Bilk
06/05/2011, 08:47 AM
to clarify :::

i have temp controll ok,,, using apex controller ,,,

keeps temp right on 78 degrees,

question is having cold air hit one part of glass cause uneven cold hot spots ,

anyone seen this cause tank glass seems to fail over long time period ?

thanks

I don't believe it will have any effect on the integrity of the glass. The temps aren't extreme. The controller is obviously going to help, but there is still no control for the cooling side so your heater may just cycling on and off more. Only way to know is to test and see how it works :) You'll also probably get a lot more evaporation that is certain, which will also help with the cooling. I don't think condensation will be an issue.