PDA

View Full Version : Loc-Tite Marine Epoxy

lordofthereef
06/05/2011, 09:40 AM
I have always had good success with loc-tite marine epoxy for gluing down frags. I redid my biocube and wanted to make a more permanent structure, so I decided to use loc-tite. I did everything like I always have. It's supposed to have a 50 minute set time. Two hours into the ordeal it was still the goopy mess it was when I started. I ended up wiping off what I could last night and chucking the rock back into the tank. It cured overnight (9 hours later...) and now I have lovely grey blotches all over my rock (since the structure obviously fell apart when moving it).

I guess the question is, could this stuff had something wrong with it? Maybe it was sitting on the shelf for a hundred years? Kind of a bummer that I have had good experiences with the stuff EXCEPT when I need it most.

I almost don't want to try another bottle, but I am thinking of returning this half-used bottle and explaining what happened. If they take it back, great. If not, $5 down the drain. Hoping to try the aquamend putty.

Guess I just wanted to share my most recent experience. Any comments/suggestions?

papawheelie
06/05/2011, 11:16 AM
I would try the oceans wonders coralline putty,you can get it pretty cheap on ebay. Never fails.

lordofthereef
06/05/2011, 11:26 AM
What's the cure time on it?

lordofthereef
06/05/2011, 11:27 AM
Err... the stuff I am finding on ebay is $15 a stick...

papawheelie
06/05/2011, 12:12 PM
I normally get two sticks for $15.00 w/ shipping off of ebay. 5 min dry time 60 min cure time.

aleonn
06/05/2011, 01:14 PM
I use the Water Weld Epoxy (by JB I think), in addition to Loc-Tite gel. Both are available at my local Home Depot. The combination works well in anchoring frags. The disadvantage is that the epoxy is super white so it's noticeable until the coralline algae or frags cover the epoxy.