PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Set-up

New2reeftank
06/05/2011, 10:49 AM
Hello All,

So I've been wanting to start a new saltwater/reef tank for a while now and figured this would be a place to start for me. I havent had any experience with reef keeping, only had a few planted tanks. I want to start a 25-35 gallon tank, I was looking into the Current Solana/Ecoxotic 25gallon tank...particularly because it has everything built into it and space is an issue for me. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions for any other tanks or any recommendations for either of these 2 tanks.

Thank you in advance for all your help

papawheelie
06/05/2011, 11:32 AM
Welcome,

I would say that would be a good starter tank. They make a really good product. You'll likely get all the info you need to be a successful reefkeeper from this sight and the wealth of knowledge in these threads. Good Luck!

0 tds
06/05/2011, 01:55 PM
Good luck, cant wait to see some pix.

zach_24_90
06/05/2011, 04:12 PM
yeah this is a pretty good site.. dont take anything personally though some ppl can be kind of rude but its tough love i guess. ive also had good luck with thereeftank.com

New2reeftank
06/18/2011, 01:50 PM
I decided to go with the Current Solana 34g tank along with the Nova Extreme Pro. Here are some pictures of everything I have so far...

As far as dosing is concerned...I understand that CaCO3 is essential for SPS, and was wondering if anyone has set-up a calcium reactor with this type of tank, and if so how do you get the effluent drip back into the tank....

Ben_n_Em
06/18/2011, 02:48 PM
That setup looks great. Are you going to run a sump under the stand or does all equipment get contained in the back of the tank?

New2reeftank
06/18/2011, 05:35 PM
It is an all in one unit. I was thinking about adding the Tunze ATO unit to it eventually.

New2reeftank
06/25/2011, 06:28 PM
Just some update: Here are some pictures of what I've done so far...I used reef crystal salt to prepare RO/DI water...and added my rocks. My pH = 8.2 (using API titration), s.g. = 1.026 @ temp. 74 deg F. I plan on seeding the tank by getting some cured live rock and spiking with Ammonium Hydroxide (anaytical grade, 10% ammonia soln.)

Fish Biscuit
06/25/2011, 07:33 PM
That's a nice set up. I just started & went w/ a free 12g nano vs paying for a 29g. Wish I had gone w/ the 29 but it's a place to start.

Lots of info on here. I think people get rough when you read some of the bonehead things that others do & it comes from a lack of researching what you want & just doing it. Don't always trust the LFS for info, let them confirm what you've researched. Sometimes the things I hear at the LFS make me shake my head, lol. Welcome & good luck!!

Lynnmw1208
06/25/2011, 08:56 PM
nice set up! now you get to wait for the cycle to complete :)

Just a suggestion: Make sure when you place your rocks to leave room on the sides of the tank so you can scrub the algae off with a magfloat or something. This way you'll always have a clean look!

New2reeftank
10/24/2011, 06:22 PM
So here are some updates and pics of the tank...I wasn't very happy with the performance of my stock skimmer even after the mesh mod so I decided to go all out and get a deltec mce600. Also upgraded to a vortec mp10es....Tank is slowly coming along well...Started initially with some softies and worked my way up to SPS. I wanna keep predominantly SPS in this tank. Here are some pics, let me know what you all think. Sorry I'm just using my phone so its not very clear..