PDA

View Full Version : BRS “Reef Saver” Eco Dry Live Rock

rocklion
06/05/2011, 12:38 PM
hi... starting a new 125 gallon tank soon. i was considering using this rock. does it have to be thoroughly cleaned first? if so, how?

i did not plan on seeding it with live rock but instead i was going to seed it with an "instant ocean" type product like dr tim's " one and only" nitrifying bacteria.

thanks for the help.

mike

jeff@zina.com
06/05/2011, 12:39 PM
hi... starting a new 125 gallon tank soon. i was considering using this rock. does it have to be thoroughly cleaned first? if so, how?
Rinse with a garden hose and drop in the tank. It has no biological material that needs "curing" on it.

Jeff

ashton1881
06/05/2011, 01:27 PM
Rinse with a garden hose and drop in the tank. It has no biological material that needs "curing" on it.

Jeff

+1 you may have rock dust on it, I dipped mine in and out of a bucket of ro water to sort of rinse it off. Great rock

Anthony.Luciano
06/05/2011, 01:36 PM
that rock is amazing i love it. i didn't rinse at all i just added 72 pounds to my established tank and the water didnt even cloud up alot. its really good rock trust me.

0 tds
06/05/2011, 01:40 PM
I love that rock. I did the same as ashton, just diped it in a bucket of RODI water and put it in the tank. It is so easy to work with and I got the look I wanted.

rocklion
06/05/2011, 01:51 PM
thanks for the replies!

bo0sted2g
06/05/2011, 03:49 PM
I started a build journal of my tank here and I ordered BRS reef saver rock for my base rock. its very easy to stack together to make a great aquascape. search my user name to find the thread it has a bunch of pics with the rock in it.

Lynnmw1208
06/05/2011, 03:51 PM
I got both reefsaver and pukani for my tank, and if I had to do it all again, I'd get more pukani. that pukani rock is so much more porous so it's always interesting shapes and you get more for your money since it's lighter. The pukani is much dirtier though. If you are cycling a new tank with it, I'd just give it a rinse.

rocklion
06/05/2011, 04:43 PM
I got both reefsaver and pukani for my tank, and if I had to do it all again, I'd get more pukani. that pukani rock is so much more porous so it's always interesting shapes and you get more for your money since it's lighter. The pukani is much dirtier though. If you are cycling a new tank with it, I'd just give it a rinse.

i'd like to do both but the pukani rock always seems to be out of stock!!..did u guys have to wait for it to be restocked when u were ready to buy?

i wonder how long the wait usually is?

Lynnmw1208
06/05/2011, 07:35 PM
i'd like to do both but the pukani rock always seems to be out of stock!!..did u guys have to wait for it to be restocked when u were ready to buy?

i wonder how long the wait usually is?

I haven't seen it out of stock in awhile. it was in stock when I purchased it. maybe it's busy season or something. sometimes they forget to change the stock status though... happened to me with the clear netting lol. you might wanna give them a call or shoot them an email.

Dan49
06/05/2011, 07:48 PM
If you buy the pukani rock plan on buying about 20% less than you think you need. This rock is as advertised lots of size not much weight. great rock!

Dan49
06/05/2011, 07:52 PM
also I just saw someone is doing a group buy 6/7 i think you might be able to save a little extra cash

OregonReefer
06/05/2011, 10:50 PM
I bought 100lbs of the pukani for my 120.

It was way more than I needed.

This is probably 70ish LBS... 9 pieces in total
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/rtrons/IMG_0492.jpg

I'm a little worried that I don't have room for seed rock

rocklion
06/06/2011, 05:52 AM
I bought 100lbs of the pukani for my 120.

It was way more than I needed.

This is probably 70ish LBS... 9 pieces in total
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/rtrons/IMG_0492.jpg

I'm a little worried that I don't have room for seed rock

wow ..that looks fantastic!..a

Manta034
06/06/2011, 08:06 AM
Ditto on the comment that you should order less of the pukani rock than normal. I ordered 40 pounds for my 75 and that filled my entire tank. I had to take two medium size pieces out to allow room for seed rock. It's great rock though!

feixjai
06/19/2011, 11:01 PM
Sorry for going off topic and thread jacking..

For the Pukani rock from BRS, would it be safe to rinse it with RO water and then add straight to an established tank? Or would it be better to let it seed/cure in a separate tub and then add them to the established tank?

I'm going to be upgrading my tank in a couple of weeks and will let my current live rock and sand settle for a week or two before transferring my live stock. Is it safe to just add the rock, after a rinse then?

kdrof
06/19/2011, 11:17 PM
I got Marco and didn't rinse. No smell or nothing. Water was clear as ever. I would guess brs rock is about the same. I was also looking at the one and only but decided my live sand was fine. I don't need my tank cycled in 3-5 days anyway... So I'll save the 75 bucks

jeff@zina.com
06/20/2011, 08:38 AM
For the Pukani rock from BRS, would it be safe to rinse it with RO water and then add straight to an established tank?
The Pukani rock is harvested from the sea, and although dry, it does have organics that may need to cook off. I find s lot of small organic debris in it can be washed out, which helps.

Jeff

thomashan
07/25/2011, 09:27 AM
I recently just bought the all-in-one Red Sea Max 250 liter/ 65 gallon.

I also ordered 55 lbs of BRS “Reef Saver” Eco Dry Live Rock. Per people's comment above, my understanding is that this is cured already so I just need to wash it a bit with RO water and it's ready to go.

I was planning on getting another 10 lbs of live rock from LFS, my questions is, do I need to do that to "seed" the 55 lbs or are those dry rock already "live". I know the product says "live", but I'm new to the hobby and am not understanding how dry rock can also be live?.

Thanks in advance!

javajaws
07/25/2011, 09:40 AM
I recently just bought the all-in-one Red Sea Max 250 liter/ 65 gallon.

I also ordered 55 lbs of BRS “Reef Saver” Eco Dry Live Rock. Per people's comment above, my understanding is that this is cured already so I just need to wash it a bit with RO water and it's ready to go.

I was planning on getting another 10 lbs of live rock from LFS, my questions is, do I need to do that to "seed" the 55 lbs or are those dry rock already "live". I know the product says "live", but I'm new to the hobby and am not understanding how dry rock can also be live?.

Thanks in advance!

It's not "cured". But then again it's not "uncured" either. Its dead rock, mostly devoid of organic matter (my most accounts it does have some amount of phosphate in it). It's not live and contains no bacterial matter whatsoever. You'll probably want to seed it with some small amount of live rock and/or some bacteria supplement (MB7, etc.).

PurpleMonkey
07/25/2011, 10:46 AM
I set up my tank just over a month ago with the BRS Eco-Saver rock. I dig the rock as it was easy to manipulate into the shape that I wanted (chisel and hammer helped).

I rinsed, and put it in my tank. I seeded it with a chunk of rock from my buddy's tank and acquired some "additional life" from a couple of different tanks (pods, mini-brittles) to help get the tank going.

Cycled with a raw cocktail shrimp and dosed MB7. I was cycled in 3 weeks (saw all 3 spikes and dropped to zeros, been that way since).

The pukani was not an option as it won't ship to Canada, and I've heard of issues getting it across the border if they check you.

thomashan
07/25/2011, 11:06 AM
...I rinsed, and put it in my tank ..

Thanks @javajaws and @PurpleMonkey.

Does this mean I don't need to rinse and cure the dry rocks for a few days in a tub outside so it won't smell up the house?

gcgrad
07/25/2011, 07:26 PM
Love this rock. I bought 130 lbs for my 125. Has lots of surface area to promote the growth of beneficial bacteria. I simply washed it with a garden hose and left it to dry for several days.