PDA

View Full Version : Lighting opinions please

GCamp13
06/05/2011, 04:49 PM
Since I don't understand all I know about lighting and corals, I'm throwing some questions I have out for discussion. My first tank is a 75 gallon, 48 inch tank. Corals that I have in it are Zoa's, Musgrooms, Xenia, Tree Leather, Kenya Tree, Yellow Polyps and Button Polyps. I also have some Frogspawn, Duncans, and some Acan Frags. Planning to add some Ricordea Mushrooms, Toadstool and maybe a Chili Coral. What lighting would you recommend? Halides? T5's? Compacts? Also how much light?

Second tank will be a 20 gallon long tank setup as a frag tank. Pretty much the same corals and maybe a birdsnest and a few other SPS.

All opinions appreciated.

davocean
06/05/2011, 05:20 PM
Those are all fairly low light needy corals, you could even get by w/ PC's(compacts) but T5's would probably be more practical and efficient.

You could probably get by w/ a 4 bulb fixture, maybe a 6 bulb.
T5's would be fine on your frag tank too.
You could even look into LED's, but they may be more expensive to purchase, though the savings would add up fast in the long run.

GCamp13
06/05/2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks, I was thinking t5's on the 75. What corals would require Halides? That would actually be a good thread, a listing of corals and best lighting for them.

Kerreefer
06/05/2011, 05:38 PM
SPS's and some LPS depending on how far down the tank they are.

+1 on T5's (way more color choices)

firebirdude
06/05/2011, 05:41 PM
A huge 48" PC fixture really wouldn't be that much cheaper than T5s. And as kerreefer pointed out, T5s give you WAY more color options and as davocean stated, they'd be more efficient too. Get a 6-bulb. Leaves you room to add higher light corals if you'd like. It's a no brainer.

jenglish
06/05/2011, 05:42 PM
In a 75 I would not say any coral required MH. A six bulb T5HO with good reflectors (or 8 bulb) is going to support SPS most of the way through the tank. I think for a 4 foot tank there are some advantages to just doing 2 MH, but T5 gives you more color choices.