PDA

View Full Version : Securing Live Rock

MBWannaBee
06/05/2011, 06:35 PM
Hello, I just added some LR to the tank and wanted to secure it. I was going to use Silicone. Is this a good way to do it?
If so, what kind should I get and how long should( and can) i let the LR sit outside of the water to dry with the silicone on it?

davocean
06/05/2011, 06:59 PM
I would not advise doing that.
2 part epoxy would be better, and some people drill and use rods for pillars or even zip ties if you're not up to drilling.

MBWannaBee
06/05/2011, 07:20 PM
Ok I think ill go with the epoxy cuz i dont think the ties would look natural. Do u have a suggestion on which kind to use? And will my sessile hitchhikers survive the curing time?

peppie
06/05/2011, 07:25 PM
The longer the rock is not in SW the more die-off it will have. Try to secure it together as quick as possible. You can submerge it in a large Tote and still drill it with a cordless drill. Most reef rock is very soft and will drill easily. The rod method is the best rout IMO
Very easy to do. Search here on RC for (acrylic rods) I am sure it will help you see how it is done
Good luck. Now you owe me (and others) some pics.

davocean
06/05/2011, 07:33 PM
^^ Pretty much agree w/ that, just be careful w/ electricity around water of course.
There are 2 part epoxy's at most LFS

Lynnmw1208
06/05/2011, 07:33 PM
the epoxy will cure underwater if you get aquarium kind or waterweld from home depot.

MBWannaBee
06/05/2011, 07:54 PM
Ok, ya. Im going to use the epoxy. Should i cure the epoxy in a seperate tank with some aquarium water?