PDA

View Full Version : Researching My Return to Salt

eodmike
06/05/2011, 09:12 PM
Ok so its been a bit since I've done any sort of saltwater and now that I think I've researched what I want I'd like to hear from you guys what is and isn't going to work out. Unfourtantly I finished my research and now I have a work trip to Australia so I'll have to delay any purchase but I guess that'll give me time to research your feed back. So here is the list of equipment I'm thinking about and the general desire for my tank. I'm going to include the prices I'm finding these things for as well. Let me know if they are high.

Equipmet I Think I want:

Aqueon Reef Ready 75 Gallon - 259.99

ProFlex Sump Model 3 (used as a ref.) - 249.99

Aqueon Return Pump 3500 - 150.41

Coralife Mini Aqualight 11" - 45.99

AquaticLife T5 HO and Lunar Hood 48" - 369.99

Reef Octopus Extreme XS160 - 254.99

2x 250w Eheim Jager Thermostat Heaters - 32.99 each

Total = 1397.34

DIY Projects:

Hood - I want to make a wood hood to hide the lights and anything else hanging over the top.

Stand - Something that fits my tank on top and sump inside

The Plan:

I want to do a softie reef. I may venture out here or there but I love zoo's and mushrooms. I want this thing covered so that the rock inside is barely visable. I know a long time or tons of money to get this done but I'm excited for the challenge. I'm not sure of fish yet. I'm not a big fan of clowns but I love goby's. The fish to me are a back seat to the coral. I will find something that is reef safe and compatible with any other inhabitants I have. I also plan on getting a reef clean-up crew from a website I trust. I think thats about it. A few fish, tons of corals, and some inverts that keep the place clean and give me the ooooh things come out of the rock work feel.

Questions:

Price and quality of the parts I picked. Any of it out of whack. Any get this instead of thats?

I plan on making the sump a refigum in the 2nd compartment and have the return pump and skimmer in the 3rd. Any issues with that?

I want an auto-top off any good ones you guys could suggest?

What about reactors and UVs and the sort. Anything I just have to have?

I keep the house about 75 with A/C and since I'm not using MH's I think I won't need a chiller. Is that right?

I do travel a bit and have asked around and found a couple recommended tank care takers in the area. Is there any equipment I should be looking for to help dummy proof the tank more than what I already listed?

Originally I was thinking of getting a Red Sea Max 250. This is my look at putting a similar tank together on my own that was similar since the price is about the same and I'm getting more than what they offer I think this is the route to take. Any one think otherwise?

For the return of the Sump I was thinking of using a SCVD and 2 U pipes with adjustable fan ends. One on each side of the tank sound good?

Well thats it for now. I'd love feed back. Please go ahead and let me know. Would rather get an ear full than waste thousands of dollars and a buch of small creatures lifes.

I'm in the GR area of Michigan any of you want to chime in with local advice that would be great.

Oh and the inspiration for my return tank are actually 2 TOTM's so I guess here are some links to what I aspire to:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/totm/index.php

and

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-08/totm/index.php

Funny they are similar and 1 year apart. Hmm August = Softie love?

socal86
06/05/2011, 09:43 PM
well one thing to remember with the return pump and skimmer pump running the temp will rise in the tank i found this out when i switched to a sump. my temp was between 72 and 74 with the sump my temp is at 78 because of the 2 pumps. which is fine but i need to keep a close eye to make sure that it don't reach past 81. so you might want to consider a chiller. my house is really never above 74 and my tank temp is still rising between the pumps and my T5 HO lighting.

eodmike
06/06/2011, 04:59 AM
Any particular chiller that does a nice job?