PDA

View Full Version : A question about cyanobacxeria?

jeanietn
06/05/2011, 09:38 PM
I had a problem with the red stringy stuff last year. I finially got that cleaned up. I read that this bacteria comes in different colors. I have a thick green something growing on my rocks. It is not slimey or hairey. I know you could answer this question much better if I had a picture. I know your answer will have to be "as a general rule". I have found this hobby is trial and error:wildone:
I still have some red in my sand bed. Do I need to rake my sand when I do my next water change?
I have a few more questions I need some help with but this is at the top of my question list now.
Thank you in advance for your help.
jeanietn aka tnjeanie (had to change name trouble with my hotmail account:crazy1:
55 gal. saltwater
15 gal. sump with bio balls (this is a big thing on my mind right now--been reading here. Lots of good information but I am so confused:bounce1:
2 yellow tail tangs
2 clown fish
1 lawn mower blemmie (he is so cute!! and does not eat hair algie)
3 large turbo snails---several lampets, several of the sand snails.
To many hermit crabs some of them came as hitch-hikers. They kill my other snails. folks say for the shells, my tank is full of shells---I think they just like to eat snails!

duncantse
06/05/2011, 09:55 PM
Reduce light
Reduce Feeding
During your next water change, siphon out all the "red stuff"

b0bab0ey
06/05/2011, 10:03 PM
I've found whenever I have an algae (or something that looks like algae) problem, the best thing is to go completely lights out for 3 consecutive days. I even wrap the outside of my tank in black garbage bags to keep out any ambient light. I do this once a month, every month. It knocks out (or at least helps to keep under control) dinos, cyano, GHA, you name it, so long as you do it religiously. I've yet to lose one single coral while doing this. They all come back after a few days, stronger than ever...

disc1
06/05/2011, 10:08 PM
+1 to the lights out method. You probably want to ditch the bio-balls, but don't take them all out at once. Take maybe a quarter at a time every week or two. Do you have a sump where you can grow some macro?

Sk8r
06/05/2011, 10:12 PM
Punch the blue number under my avatar, go to the entry marked 'algae', and I have a pretty extensive how-to on getting rid of various stuff. The green stuff isn't cyano. But if will respond to no light and a reduction in phosphates. Are you using ro/di? That and a good skimmer are key to fighting the algal blooms.

jeanietn
06/05/2011, 10:54 PM
Yes I am using ro water. It is not an expensive one, only one filter but it sure got rid of my alagie problem---well except for the red stuff in my sand.
The bio-ball thing---this has given me lots of concern. To be honest I don't know if I have enough room. I will return to discussess this in depth when I am ready to change them. I am kind of upset with my fish store for not telling me I had to clean those things and they did not tell me I needed to change and clean the spounge. I now know I need to do those things NOW---but it would have been nice to have been told!!! That is probably common knowledge to you guys, when you know NOTHING about a hobby all the little details need to be discussed!!! I am so glad I found this site--has helped this dumb fish person lots:mixed: I am going to turn my lights off for a few days--this sounds like a good plan to me. Question--do I feed my fish the same way--just without lights?:spin2:
Thanks Again

disc1
06/05/2011, 11:13 PM
Question--do I feed my fish the same way--just without lights?

You can but it would be good to cut back. They can go for a day with no food and won't starve to death.

thebkramer
06/06/2011, 05:12 AM
Punch the blue number under my avatar, go to the entry marked 'algae', and I have a pretty extensive how-to on getting rid of various stuff.

WOW!! Sk8r! I had NO IDEA you had all that good stuff!! :bounce3:
I will def be reading lots today! :lol2:
Here I am always giving out helpful links to fellow reefers & researching them myself... looks like I'll be adding a few more to my library !! :bounce3:
Wonder why Capn didn't add your links to the Log?? :fun5: :spin1: