PDA

View Full Version : transferring from a 75 gallon to a 110 gallon tank

rich850
06/05/2011, 10:03 PM
just need some help with the process i have had my 75 gallon tank setup about six months and i have about 8 fish and 20 corals what is the safest way to move everything

tyler3276
06/05/2011, 10:23 PM
drain almost of your water from your 75g leave just enough so the fish wont die and put it in the 110 and move all rock and sand over to. make 35g of new salt water and add it to the 110 and the tank will be full so it will be like doind a medium size water change. let it mix in the tank for about 2 hours and then move all of your fish and coral over. this is what i did

rich850
06/05/2011, 10:35 PM
is it really this simple or will stirring my sand cause a new cycle?

tyler3276
06/05/2011, 10:39 PM
it works i moved all my stuff from my 55g to my new 125g with no problems

pentrix2
06/06/2011, 08:30 AM
drain almost of your water from your 75g leave just enough so the fish wont die and put it in the 110 and move all rock and sand over to. make 35g of new salt water and add it to the 110 and the tank will be full so it will be like doind a medium size water change. let it mix in the tank for about 2 hours and then move all of your fish and coral over. this is what i did

+1 on this. i did this same thing on one of my tanks. but for me i had my 3rd tank and i left the fishmates overnight because the new tank had too much of a sand storm/cloud.

thebkramer
06/06/2011, 08:40 AM
I just transferred my tank.. but I put all my rocks & SW into a 35g container (tupperware) and my fish & corals in a 15g tank.. (original SW from DT)
I then put my sand into the new tank.. added more sand.. mixed it around.. then added water back into new tank.. WHAT A STORM!! I then just put all my rocks in the new tank.. left my fish & corals hang in the 15g.. when I tested the new DT.. I had an ammonia spike :( so I waited 3 days before adding my fish & corals back to DT (tests were good)
During the transfer.. I did keep a powerhead & heater with the rocks.. with the 15g I used a small HOB, powerhead & heater..
It seems like alot.. but my fish thanked me for it :lol2:

b0bab0ey
06/06/2011, 08:42 AM
is it really this simple or will stirring my sand cause a new cycle?

In theory, it should go just as tyler3276 said. However, there's always a chance of a mini-cycle or a brief ammonia spike. There's no rhyme or logical reason for this... It just happens sometimes.

thebkramer
06/06/2011, 08:44 AM
. However, there's always a chance of a mini-cycle or a brief ammonia spike. There's no rhyme or logical reason for this... It just happens sometimes.

Mixing up the sand and the sandstorm is why this happens ;)

sporto0
06/06/2011, 09:14 AM
just upgraded from 55 to 90, the trick to not causing a sandstorm is simple, never pour your water directly on to send bed, use a bowl or plate or a larger piece of live rock when pouring, my tank was crystal clear after the transfer which took almost 14 hours to accomplish so get your game face on & good luck & happy reefing!

pentrix2
06/06/2011, 09:40 AM
just upgraded from 55 to 90, the trick to not causing a sandstorm is simple, never pour your water directly on to send bed, use a bowl or plate or a larger piece of live rock when pouring, my tank was crystal clear after the transfer which took almost 14 hours to accomplish so get your game face on & good luck & happy reefing!

i learned about the bowl trick after my tank transfer. i wished i would of known this because it would of saved me a lot of time trying to catch the fishes. :spin2:

NewbieForever
06/06/2011, 10:14 AM
Also when I do tank transfers I scoop the sand out with a dust pan and lay it right back it the new tank. The bowl trick works, you can also put plastic wrap on the sand once it's in, put some small rocks to hold it in place. Add water take the wrap out and scap how you would like.

Chris27
06/06/2011, 11:19 AM
Sift and rinse the sand well with a pasta strainer, some buckets and lot's of saltwater, it'll remove a good bit of the built up waste.....which is what causes most peoples ammonia spikes during a tank move. It wouldn't hurt to give the rocks a good rinse in some SW as well to rinse out the crud that is buried in the nooks and crannies.