PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning overflows

supervdl
06/05/2011, 11:52 PM
I have water quality issues (Nitrates/ Phosphates are off the chart). Over the next weeks I will rearrange my aquascape and clean the rock of any dirt in the process. Quite some stuff has accumulated ion the rocks over the years.

I also have seen that there is quite some dirt accumulated at the bottom of the overflows on my oceanic 210 and I wonder if anyone has a good idea on how to clean this easily. I am hoping to hear some suggestions. I will not be able to move the tank around due to its weight and the bottom of the overflows is not easily reachable for me.

Please share your ideas.

pmrossetti
06/05/2011, 11:58 PM
can't you remove durso and just let it drain out?

or siphon with vinyl tubing?

reefmanmatt
06/06/2011, 05:19 AM
if you dont want to take it apart ... you can grab some filter socks and put them over the bottom of the pipes , then use a bottle brush or the like to loosen the bulk of it . a powerhead will stir the junk in the bottom up well if you can fit it past the durso . all and all your better off ripping it apart though . dont clean it unless you shut it off or run socks , theres always more gunk than you think !!!

Chris27
06/06/2011, 06:26 AM
Siphon it out with some tubing, doesn't get much easier then that.

mwilliams62
06/06/2011, 06:39 AM
I was reading another thread here in RC and the person was having food issues that would settle down in the overflow and they suggested to him or her to put a powerhead inside there pointing to the bottom so it will stir up and be sucked down into the sump. They did not say what size of a powerhead to use so i am guessing one that would be stronge enough to get that stuff off of the bottom if the iverflow.

Chris27
06/06/2011, 12:56 PM
I was reading another thread here in RC and the person was having food issues that would settle down in the overflow and they suggested to him or her to put a powerhead inside there pointing to the bottom so it will stir up and be sucked down into the sump. They did not say what size of a powerhead to use so i am guessing one that would be stronge enough to get that stuff off of the bottom if the iverflow.

Or you could just turn off the return pump for a few min. while feeding....