PDA

View Full Version : Fish Tales ...or funny things my fish have done.

SarahE
06/06/2011, 01:43 AM
Some fish have such great personalities, and I feel like I could tell so many stories about funny things I've seen them do.

When I was young(er) and foolish(er), one of the first things in my tank was a clown fish. I had read in my (limited) research that clown fish like to live in anemones. My sad-looking start up tank was relatively empty with no large rocks or really anything to hide behind, so I bought a little fake fabric aquarium plant and put it in the tank. (Over-minimalist aquascaping.) Over a year (and many changes) later, I have yet to remove this eye-sore of a fake plant because my clown fish to this day lives in it and protects it fiercely. If I put my hand or a net in the tank, and it gets too close to the fake plant, my clown fish will nip aggressively at the offender until it is removed. Also, I tend to have a problem with algae growth on the plant, and I suspect the clown fish is keeping any of the cleaners from getting near it. I could just pull the plant out, but if it isn't doing any harm, I think my clown will be happier if I leave it there.

Anyone ever heard of a clown fish living in a fake plant?

What strange things have your fish done?

~Sarah~

snorvich
06/06/2011, 05:00 AM
Actually they will associate with almost anything. Powerheads, LPS corals (and sometimes harm them), etc. What they will not do, is associate with the wrong anemone. By the way, your plant "hosts" the clownfish "associates".

rad1687
06/06/2011, 08:37 AM
Sounds cute. Have any pictures?

rocride
06/06/2011, 08:56 AM
one of my regal tangs (hollywood) spends hours trying to swim backwards

the other (dalyce) shadows 'the wrasse' all around the tank,like a 1/2 inch from his tail and then when the wrasse notices he swims around in hyper celebration

my tank rarely goes 48 hrs without clownfish eggs and if it does,by the end of the second day clyde will literally be t-boning bonnie out of the nem,nipping at her as if to say c'mon woman time to get busy
speaking of which,the PLTA has four positions in their corner depending where the egss are laid

the blenny sits all day looking 'out' of the tank,like cheek pressed right against the glass

vern the dragon goby hangs out with the clownfish and they don't mind and he also swims around with snails in his mouth,looks like a 'they're not where they should be thing'

jarrod13
06/06/2011, 10:10 AM
My friends regal tang goes to the top and gulps air then swims back down and realeases the bubbles, then likes playing with them as they rise back to the top, very funny to watch

moonp13
06/06/2011, 10:50 AM
^^ my clownfish does this sometimes.

Bilk
06/06/2011, 11:23 AM
I only have 3 fish in a pretty new 50g. They're 3 chromis. Two are tank reared and one is wild caught as reported by the FS. Well the wild caught finds the rocks at night when the lights go out and the two tank reared just hang near the top in suspension. I guess it's difficult for the wild caught to shake his behavior and trust the tank is safe or the two tank reared don't know what danger is. During the lighted hours they school and hang together. :)

Fishfish0001
06/06/2011, 11:44 AM
My clown is basically OCD, and if anything isn't where she puts it then it gets moved... forcefully. Can't even add Hermits without her picking them up and placing them around the tank.

It does help with cleaning though, as she moves things around so I can clean the sand bed :D

moondoggy4
06/06/2011, 12:20 PM
Back in the 80's I had a Ghost Ribbon Ell fight for a gold fish with my Hawaiinn Dragon Ell.

SarahE
06/06/2011, 07:50 PM
I have an emerald crab that anytime someone stands near the tank, he stands on his hind legs and holds his claws up in the air to make himself as big and scary as possible. He won't go back to what he was doing until the person outside of the tank goes away.