PDA

View Full Version : Storing Saltwater

Eel-byte
06/06/2011, 04:55 AM
I picked up a 5 gallon water jug and had planned on storing ro water in it. It would be preferred to store fresh made saltwater. What kind of shelf life would there be? Or should i even attempt?

shifty51008
06/06/2011, 08:12 AM
as long as it stayes covered you can store it for as long as you want.

steelhead77
06/06/2011, 09:14 AM
It's always good if you can keep some circualtion going in it to prevent it from going stagnant.

Crusty Old Shellback
06/06/2011, 10:39 AM
I've stored both fresh made up salt water as well as natural Sea Water for month with no cicrulation and no problems. ;)

Bilk
06/06/2011, 11:30 AM
I don't think it needs circulation. Just keep it well sealed and it should be fine for as long as you have it stored that way. When you need it you can aerate it with a PH but that probably isn't necessary if you release it to the sump slowly.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/06/2011, 12:30 PM
If it contains organics (like Reef Crystals does), I wouldn't seal it up out of fear of it becoming anaerobic. If it is organic free, like Instant Ocean, then it can be sealed up and kept as long as you want.

Eel-byte
06/06/2011, 02:49 PM
If it contains organics (like Reef Crystals does), I wouldn't seal it up out of fear of it becoming anaerobic. If it is organic free, like Instant Ocean, then it can be sealed up and kept as long as you want.

I am using reef crystals. I guess i'll have to pick a pail of instant ocean. I just want to have a 5g emergency water ready to go. I may pickup another 5g water jug just for ro/di.

Thanks for the info.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/06/2011, 03:44 PM
Sounds good.

I make up 88 gallons at a time and use it over several weeks (unstirred, unheated, unaerated)) for 1% daily automatic water changes, and the bulk is available for any emergency, which is a good idea, IMO.

reefinmo
06/06/2011, 06:15 PM
Randy, I read a similar post from you a few weeks ago about Reef Crystals that has me a little worried. I have been keeping 10 or so gallons of Reef Crystals water made up in a plastic tub in my fish room. It's not sealed or anything, it doesn't even have a cover. But I don't keep any heat or circulation in there. It might sit there 4 weeks so before it gets used. Is that a problem?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/07/2011, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure. If open, it may be OK. As long as it never gets any rotten egg smell it is probably OK.