PDA

View Full Version : I am so fed up.....

jbonez
06/06/2011, 06:17 AM
I have a 75gl tank up and running for 4months now and my diamond gobie went carpet surfing 2 days ago & now my paired black percula clown & my yellow tang have ich. I have all 3 in qt im getting prazipro in the mail today & my cupramine on wenesday will they be ok until wenesday. Also if i dosed the whole tank with both meds do the strip the tank of its purple coraline algae i have on the rocks? Also is it safe for turbo snails and crabs? What should i do please help.. Thanks
all water perimeters are good i feed homade food shrimps ,scallops & nore grindded up in blendder with kent xtreme garlic & selcon also nls pellets and hakari frozen krill

skrillnet
06/06/2011, 06:22 AM
Don't put any type of copper med in with inverts! It WILL kill them, as well as destroy your bio filter. If you are going to treat with copper you need to have a BB QT tank with some flower pots and pvc for them to hide in.

Treat as per instructions and do water changes as often as it takes to keep the ammonia in check. IME 25% every 3rd day should keep it down.

Good luck!

James404
06/06/2011, 06:23 AM
Do not dose the display tank with copper, it will kill all your inverts and any corals as well as absorb into your rocks. If you are saying you have rock in your QT and you dose cupramine you will never be able to use them in a tank with corals or inverts again.

skrillnet
06/06/2011, 06:24 AM
And any rock or sand in the tank you treat will not be usable for a reef tank any more. It will absorb the copper and lwach it back into the water column. Copper+corals= DEATH!!!!

jbonez
06/06/2011, 06:25 AM
Ok ill just dose the qt tank then , do you think i should add the prazipero today or wait for the cupramine on wenseday?

jbonez
06/06/2011, 06:27 AM
Ok there is nothing in the qt tank its bare

rocride
06/06/2011, 07:50 AM
i can't comment on the qt side of things but as for the selcon/garlic dosing I soak both into nls pellets and basically spot feed the fish to make sure they are getting the goods directly.The pellets absorb the garlic/selcon much better than the 'meat'.fwiw i don't panic over a small ich outbreak.A healthy happy fish's immune system should be able to deal with it,just don't freak them out but spooking them and having your hands in the tank etc. ...just my experience

diamond gobies are well known jumpers

jbonez
06/06/2011, 08:06 AM
Do you think i should add the prazipro today when it arrives in the mail or just wait to wenseday for the cupramine to come

rocride
06/06/2011, 08:28 AM
i don't know about the qt and copper treating but from my past searches i have only ever 'heard' about cuppermine...your fish are in the qt tank now?
do they have places to hide and is the water aerated,possibly add an airstone!

don't panic,can you snap a cpl pictures of the fish,no flash! lol

best advice i can give is to follow instructions and keep the enviroment stress free for the fish....pound the internet,do google searches

blue736
06/06/2011, 09:04 AM
why do you want to dose with Prazipro? you suspect the fish have worms?

get the qt running with the fish inside with plenty of hiding places. then start dosing with curpamine (as per instructions to the T).

leave your display tank fallow (fishless) for at least 8 weeks to make sure the ick dies off...

EllieSuz
06/06/2011, 09:28 AM
+1 on above response. Eight weeks fishless in your Display, Copper treatment for the fish in Quarantine and careful monitoring of ammonia in the Quarantine with frequent water changes. You can purchase a badge that turns color when there's any sign of ammonia in the water and it helps with peace of mind.

mess7777
06/06/2011, 10:26 AM
Do some reading, make your research and decide on your plan. It is good to hear that you already have them in a QT. Look at the stickies in the fish disease section, there is good information on ich there. Your options are copper, hypo, or tank transfer. I have read very few accounts of the tank transfer method. Copper is ok if you will never have inverts or corals in your QT tank(it is recommended to QT them as well). Hypo is effective but is more labor intensive than other methods, also it treats only ich.

You will find a lot of varying opinion on this site and others, read it all and make your own assessment, don't let someone else do it for you.

SkullV
06/06/2011, 10:36 AM
Unless you are going to QT EVERY fish you purchase from now on with the full cupramine/hypo treatment before it goes into your DT (the best plan) then there is no point in treating. Just put the fish back in the DT and feed heavily with garlic/selcon enriched food.

mess7777
06/06/2011, 10:41 AM
Unless you are going to QT EVERY fish you purchase from now on with the full cupramine/hypo treatment before it goes into your DT (the best plan) then there is no point in treating. Just put the fish back in the DT and feed heavily with garlic/selcon enriched food.

This is 100% true....although I have quickly become an advocate of QT EVERY FISH. This is one of the best articles I have read.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

Comes down to the fact that if you are willing to risk all your fish throw them in, feed with garlic selcon and hope they don't come down with ich or something else. If you don't accept that risk, QT.

stovenut
06/06/2011, 11:35 AM
Quaranteening fish can be effective, but it's not foolproof. For 100% ich-free tanks, you'll need to QT more than just fish. Ich can also arrive on coral frags or live rock, so it's not so simple as QT all fish. Ich is in the water column of most LFS. You bring home frag from a friend's tank and you now have ich too.

A healthy, well-fed fish, given the right living environment (free of stress, plenty of hiding places and room to swim) will not die from ich. It's easier to provide that IMO. Even a powder blue or achilles can get ich and survive in a healthy environment if cared for properly.

jbonez
06/06/2011, 12:24 PM
Well in my dt tank i have 90lbs of live rock there is plenty of hiding spaces. I also dose all the food i feed them with kent xtreme garlic & selcon i use a typhoon3 ro/di 75gpd with 0tds i use io salt i just ran out and got this until my cupramine comes(mardel cooper safe) i have a bunch of snails and red leg crabs.
The fish look a bit better then last night ,
AS SOON AS THE CUPRAMINE COMES WENS OR THURS DAY IM GONNA DO A 50% WATER CHANGE AND ADD THE CUPRAMINE

SkullV
06/06/2011, 12:32 PM
Well in my dt tank i have 90lbs of live rock there is plenty of hiding spaces. I also dose all the food i feed them with kent xtreme garlic & selcon i use a typhoon3 ro/di 75gpd with 0tds i use io salt i just ran out and got this until my cupramine comes(mardel cooper safe) i have a bunch of snails and red leg crabs.
AS SOON AS THE CUPRAMINE COMES WENS OR THURS DAY IM GONNA DO A 50% WATER CHANGE AND ADD THE CUPRAMINE

Do NOT add cupramine to a tank with any liverock or inverts. They will die and you will get a huge ammonia spike.

mess7777
06/06/2011, 12:35 PM

I have seen that post 100 times. I also had ich and garlic, food additives etc did not work. Only when I took them out and treated them did it finally go away. Sure it would disappear for a day or two, maybe gone on one fish but show up on another, etc. However, it always came back. I gave it a month in the DT before taking the to QT.

Now I will be QT everything that comes from a tank that had fish in it within the last 8 weeks. It's entirely possible it will still come back as I am not perfect(I added some corals to the DT during the 8 weeks), but I really don't want to deal with ich again.

Good luck to you on your treatment. Patience is one of the hardest parts!

jbonez
06/06/2011, 12:35 PM
not in my dt tank. im gonna add it to my qt tank , i added a air line to athe ac 50 powerhead i have in the tank to areate it is that ok can i add the prazipro with the copper meds ???

jbonez
06/06/2011, 12:36 PM
i agree i will qt all fish or inverts i add in the future

jbonez
06/06/2011, 12:38 PM
well they are in qt since 7am today i added the mardel copper safe until my cupramine comes in the mail..
i wanna know if its ok to dose with prazipro while using the copper meds????

jbonez
06/06/2011, 12:44 PM
hey do i need to remove all the crabs & snails &candy canes & mushrooms out of my dt tank to go fishless for 8 weeks???? to kill the ich

SkullV
06/06/2011, 12:44 PM
well they are in qt since 7am today i added the mardel copper safe until my cupramine comes in the mail..
i wanna know if its ok to dose with prazipro while using the copper meds????

That was a bad idea, now you should just complete the treatment with copper safe as it is a different type of copper and will test differently. Don't rush into things. One of the keys to this hobby is patience.

jbonez
06/06/2011, 12:47 PM
yes i know but i was not sure if they would have made it until thursday i wanted to be safe then sorry these fish werent cheap.do you think i can just do a 50% water change when the cupermine get here then add that

jbonez
06/06/2011, 12:48 PM
i should get a copper test kit???

jbonez
06/06/2011, 12:49 PM
hey do i need to remove all the crabs & snails &candy canes & mushrooms out of my dt tank to go fishless for 8 weeks???? to kill the ich what do you guys think

ludiNano
06/06/2011, 01:35 PM
no fishless means just fish. The ick will run its course across the 8 week time period and die off off there's no fish for them.

jbonez
06/06/2011, 03:05 PM
so the snails & crabs and the few corals is ok just the fish correct?

EllieSuz
06/06/2011, 03:18 PM
Yes, leave the invertebrates in your Display tank (including corals) and treat the fish in QT with copper. Do NOT use PraziPro and Cupramine at the same time! Read the labels carefully and treat the Ich with Cupramine according to the label and forget about the PraziPro. PraziPro is for treatment of flukes and is not effective for Ich.

jbonez
06/06/2011, 03:21 PM
ok thanks ellie suz