PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Balast

GiGalo
06/06/2011, 08:37 AM
How do aquarium ballast differ from a ballast such as this one
http://www.wolffbros.com/cgi-bin/lansaweb?srve=PRDLIST+p=WDV+F(LW3CATURL)=SYLVANIA_2X54T5_-_SBL49130

Crusty Old Shellback
06/06/2011, 10:37 AM
They don't. ;)

there are two types of ballast for florecent lights, coil or electronic. Dosen't matter if it's made by a company charging you extra because it's labeled for "Aquariums" or one of the cheap work horse ballast you get at home depot. They both do the same job, light a bulb.

The only difference in the bulbs is the color out put of the bulbs, they are all florecent bulbs and work off of a florecent ballast. Just make sure that the ballast you get is matched to the type of bulb your using. i.e. T5, T8, VHO, etc.

Chris27
06/06/2011, 12:26 PM
Yep, they don't, and FWIW, I replaced a T5 ballast in a Current Fixture the other day with one very similar to what you listed. Just pay attention to how the new one wires up, and you'll be good.

GiGalo
06/08/2011, 05:18 AM
Thank You all for your input on this. I figured that the ballast would not matter. The Bulb on the other hand cannot be purchased at home depot for aquaria due to the kelvin rating, right? This is where you have to buy the right bulb to get the right light output for your aquarium.

Crusty Old Shellback
06/08/2011, 07:48 AM
Any bulb will work as long as it has the desired color temp that you want and is the type supported by your ballast with the right wattage. Most look for a color temp around 12 to 14K which is a blue white.

Occasionaly you can find some at Home Depot. ;)