PDA

View Full Version : Finding Nemo, Dory (hippo tang)

pentrix2
06/06/2011, 09:52 AM
I know this is a silly question but I always wondered this.

In the movie Dory had short term memory loss.

Is this true that Hippo Tangs suffer this?

I know the clow fish (Marlin) the other fishes wanted to hear his jokes so in real life the LFS seems to sell clown fishes the most.

Just trying to see the parallelism

:fish2:

Pen

shifty51008
06/06/2011, 10:01 AM
just a movie, clowns at the circus are supposed to be funny which is why he (marlin) was supposed to tell jokes.

as for the loss of memory it is prob. impossiable to know unless you can read minds however when I used to have a hippo tang it always knew when feeding time was and would be waiting by the food ring everyday at the same time waiting for me. so IMO I don't think that it true, just something fun for the kids.

just don't try keeping all those fish together like they did it won't work and most of those fish need big tanks or special care that don't feed well

Angel*Fish
06/06/2011, 10:22 AM
Cute film, but more of a hindrance to the hobby than a help. Clowns and hippo tangs were pretty popular before the movie.

pentrix2
06/06/2011, 11:06 AM
ohhh.

shifty51008, you ready my mind about getting all those fishes in one tank. i re-watched the movie lastnight and after reading your post, you are right, it will be impossible for one tank. the tank has to be huge to do that.

angel*fish, i always thought the movie made clowns and hippos popular. i only gotten into this hobby last year so i am rewatching and thinking differently when I watch fish movies.

tymon
06/06/2011, 11:15 AM
ya watching fish movies is way better once you get into this hobby.

rayn
06/06/2011, 11:19 AM
The big difference is what you look for. Nemo, national geographic on the oceans, anythig with the oceans you start looking for the corals and life in the oceans. Changes your whole perspective.

zeeter
06/06/2011, 11:20 AM
ohhh.

shifty51008, you ready my mind about getting all those fishes in one tank. i re-watched the movie lastnight and after reading your post, you are right, it will be impossible for one tank. the tank has to be huge to do that.

angel*fish, i always thought the movie made clowns and hippos popular. i only gotten into this hobby last year so i am rewatching and thinking differently when I watch fish movies.

Exactly. Like, you wouldn't keep a hippo tang with a hammerhead shark.....kidding. I know what you mean.

Hippos and especially clownfish have always been popular among saltwater hobbyists, however the movie really turned a lot of people onto the hobby. This has had pluses and minuses, as a lot of people started putting hippos and clowns in ten gallon tanks and had no idea what they were doing. On the other hand, the higher demand has brought prices down. On the other hand, the higher demand has limited the wild resources. On the other hand, the limited wild resources has led to great advances in home breeding. On the other hand, home breeding has led to a great deal of inbreeding. On the last hand, the technology involved in the hobby has grown by leaps and bounds due to the number of people that the movie turned on to SW fish.

rayn
06/06/2011, 11:22 AM
How many hands you got?

Angel*Fish
06/06/2011, 11:32 AM
Lol and just in case anyone is wondering, a hippo tang needs at the very least a 240g tank. And in my opinion even in a big tank like that, it will look cramped and make the tank look small.

canrio
06/06/2011, 12:24 PM
240g for a Hippo Tang??

zeeter
06/06/2011, 12:52 PM
240g for a Hippo Tang??

Ugh...don't get me started on that! I'll get kicked off the boards by the mods. That's the reef central official recommendation. As if everyone out there has an eight foot tank....

Sugar Magnolia
06/06/2011, 01:14 PM
Ugh...don't get me started on that! I'll get kicked off the boards by the mods. That's the reef central official recommendation. As if everyone out there has an eight foot tank....

Why do you always have to "go there" every time the recommended tank size issue is raised? Rather than place a bullseye on your chest, why not just step away from the keyboard?

Sugar Magnolia
06/06/2011, 01:15 PM
Lol and just in case anyone is wondering, a hippo tang needs at the very least a 240g tank. And in my opinion even in a big tank like that, it will look cramped and make the tank look small.

Yep... BrianD's adult (10+ year old) hippo in a 550g tank. ;)

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHdX0Y-PloE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHdX0Y-PloE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

thebkramer
06/06/2011, 01:20 PM
WOW!!!
AMAZING TANK!! :bounce3:

what a BIG BOY!!! :D and a PERFECT sized tank for him too!!!

Mr.Tan
06/06/2011, 01:24 PM
^wow, that hippo does even make that 550 look small for it! they are beautiful fish, however sometimes (with fish that get that big) i feel as though they are best left in the ocean where they can get full range and swim freely.

lordofthereef
06/06/2011, 04:09 PM
Cute film, but more of a hindrance to the hobby than a help.

:thumbsup:

All disney movies revolving around animals seem that way. I remember when 101 dalmations was released (I was very young) and everyone and their mother had to have a dalmation.

snorvich
06/06/2011, 04:25 PM

Very true. And as they get mature, they also get aggressive especially in tanks that are too small.

snorvich
06/06/2011, 04:28 PM

Yes, don't go there. Actually don't even think about going there. Everyone cannot keep every fish. Keep fish that you can afford to keep in appropriate circumstances.

Sk8r
06/06/2011, 04:55 PM
The tank in Nemo is designed to show how NOT to keep fish, has a wretched owner, never mind the kid, and illustrates species that should NEVER be kept under those circumstances, end report.

rayn
06/06/2011, 06:04 PM

Wow, love that tank. Hippo, rabbit, and what looked like a sailfin?! Not to mention all the other activity going on.

tymon
06/06/2011, 06:13 PM
ya the cleaner shrimp would have been ate by that puffer so quickly same with nemo.

cm11599ps
06/06/2011, 08:02 PM
Let's see.

1) For starters, if Nemo's mom died then his dad would have become his mom. lol

2) Clowns won't venture that far from their anemone, let alone across the ocean.

3) Fish can't read. lol

4 etc.........

rayn
06/06/2011, 08:30 PM
Escape`

SushiGirl
06/06/2011, 08:55 PM

I hope people also notice how large those pajama cardinals are...

Oh, and all drains don't lead to the ocean.

moonp13
06/06/2011, 09:00 PM
Oh, and all drains don't lead to the ocean.

:mad:lies....

PCFisher66
06/07/2011, 07:53 AM
These are all good but what about a volcano bubbler in the tank! J/K

BIG_KAHUNA
06/07/2011, 07:59 AM
I know what ya'll are talking about. I watched that movie like last week with my girlfriend. She was annoyed that I would keep calling everything out now that I actually know how everything really works. And like when he's flying through the drains back to the ocean I was cringing cuz I knew what that water would be doing to gills and body :hmm2: But of course he was ok lol. The crabs were hilarious. "HAYYYYY HAY HAY HAAAAAAY!!!" lmao :lol2:

bnumair
06/07/2011, 10:23 AM
except for few basic things rest of that movie is all fictional and not possible nor practical and this movie like SK8R said has hurt the hobby than helping. that tank was just an example of what not to do in this hobby.

crobattt
06/07/2011, 10:26 AM
I heard a clown ask me where his son was once.

stingythingy45
06/07/2011, 10:34 AM
Yes clown fish often swim to the surface and put a fin over their eyes,shielding them,to look around.
It's a fun film though.

Rookie07
06/07/2011, 02:32 PM
I hope people also notice how large those pajama cardinals are

Thats exactly what I was thinking...they looked huge!

pentrix2
06/08/2011, 05:56 AM
How many hands you got?

hahaha, :fun5:

pentrix2
06/08/2011, 05:59 AM

hahaha, so true. i've seen so many tanks with hippo and clown fishes in 30g or less. reading your previous post with all your hands, it does make sense. it has it's plus and minus. plus for the consumer in pricing and technology but minus on giving tangs and clowns more stress. :bum:

Pen

pentrix2
06/08/2011, 06:02 AM
The tank in Nemo is designed to show how NOT to keep fish, has a wretched owner, never mind the kid, and illustrates species that should NEVER be kept under those circumstances, end report.

Nicely said Sk8r...

:lol2:

Pen

rayn
06/23/2011, 08:09 PM
I just watched it with my little girl. Did anyone happen to check out the extras? Exploring the reef? It atleast warns about our harming the reefs and gives a url for more info.

sneaton
06/23/2011, 08:31 PM
i think any ocean fish in a tank(no matter what size )has stress....so does a 6 foot tank make that much difference than a 8 foot

mykol
06/23/2011, 08:49 PM
i haven't done much research, but i was told at an LFS that hippos require a large water column, is this true, or does the vertical vs horizontal matter?

sneaton
06/23/2011, 08:57 PM
they need length to swim

snorvich
06/23/2011, 08:59 PM
For tangs, generally, length is the most important attribute.

cm11599ps
06/23/2011, 09:24 PM
Where's Michael Scott when you need him?

Angel*Fish
06/23/2011, 09:41 PM
There is some controversy over Scott Michael's tank size recommendations. You have to take into account that anyone giving tank sizes is always under pressure to make them as small as possible.

If you want your 400g tank to look small, just get a hippo tang.

Jstdv8
06/24/2011, 12:23 AM
other than the puffer and the moorish idol I think all the other fish are compatable.
you've got a clown, royal gramma, yellow tang, and a damsel.
Sure the tank is a little small, looked like about a 55 or 75 gallon, but the fish for the most part could be kept together if the damsel was on her best behavior. throw in jauque the cleaner shrimp and you could easily have a nemo tank if it was of decent size.
The hippo was never in the tank she was in the ocean.
I have a yellow tang, clown and jauque in my tank :) I'm probably going to go with the powder blue instead of the hippo though just cause I like them better.
Didn't design my tank after finding nemo, but those are some of the fish I like anyways.
my clown is a black and white, his name is emo