PDA

View Full Version : Advice: First tank and BC 29 mods

PurpleMonkey
06/06/2011, 11:07 AM
Howdy Reefers,

I have finally given in to the ways of the reef and bought my first tank. Got a good deal on a practically new BC 29.

I've been reading and reading and trying to learn as much as I can about this setup [I have an experienced reefer who is going to be helping me set it all up].

All the mods look soo much fun. The question I have for you is what mods should I do right off the bat as the tank is sitting dry in my study at the moment. I do have a budget...

Thanks!

PS - plans are for a mixed tank, nem, perc or occ., zoas, sps after a lighting upgrade

tymon
06/06/2011, 11:12 AM
what is your budget going to be and reef tanks are expensive if you want to get them right. not worth keeping corals if you cannot afford the right equipment. if you are on a budget i suggest a FOWLR (fish only with live rock).

PurpleMonkey
06/06/2011, 12:19 PM
I have $$, and will be able to spend $ to maintain this. I am aware of the addiction I'm getting into [apparently crack is a cheaper alternative].

I just can't afford to blow everything at once. I will not add coral until I am able to sustain it.

tymon
06/06/2011, 12:26 PM
ok as long as you are aware that is good. now do you have a light? or just the tankk

firebirdude
06/06/2011, 12:33 PM
Coming from a BC29 owner of almost 4 years, you're biggest enemy is going to be heat. This cannot be stated enough. Please heed my words. Ditch the hood now or buy a chiller. With the stock two PC lights, you might be able to maintain 80-82... might... but even that is on the high side. If you even think about upgrading to the four PC light kit or built in mH, you'll cook everything inside without additional cooling. I went from the two PCs, to four PCs, and currently have all LEDs. Even with upgraded stock size fans AND an additional 120mm fan over the LED heatsink, I can't get below 80 during winter. Past few months have been between 80.8 and 82. The hood simply does not allow for proper ventilation/evaporation. Ditch the hood and go with a mH Sunpod, shorty T5 setup or hanging mH. With no lid, you'll have decent temps and now plenty of light to do whatever you want. Set up an ATO for the increase in evaporation and you'll be much better off.

Additionally, the hood begins to be a PITA during tank maintenance. Having to remove the entire hood and set it aside (still while all the cords run into it) every time you need to move a coral in the back, clean the back wall, siphon any algae that's not right below the feed door, remove/move a powerhead for cleaning, etc etc begins to get ridiculous.

Sorry if I come off as aggressive on this topic. Just wanting someone to learn from my years of experience trying to mod/grow out a BC29. Don't go chasing these little upgrades and ideas. Heed my warning and dump the hood from the get go.

PurpleMonkey
06/06/2011, 12:40 PM
thanks for the advice. I do have access to lights i can replace the hood with.

My long term plans are when I upgrade (not if... I know its gonna happen), the biocube will end up going in my classroom (I'm a high school biology teacher). I like the idea of the lid because it will deter students from throwing random things into the tank, but I hear you on the heat thing. I'm setting it up in an a/c'd room. hmm... more to comtemplate.

tcmfish
06/06/2011, 12:41 PM
^+1

firebirdude
06/06/2011, 12:47 PM
My room is A/C'd too ya know. lol

If you must keep the hood, then you must buy a chiller if you're going to use anything other than the stock lighting (which we both know you will).

PurpleMonkey
06/06/2011, 12:50 PM
should I go sugar sand or oolitic?

firebirdude
06/06/2011, 12:57 PM
About the same thing. They're both in the .5mm-1.75mm range. Sugar sand is more of a slang...

Copied from MarineDepot

CaribSea Aragamax Sugar-Sized Sand 30 lb Information

Aragamax Sugar-Sized Sand: 0.2 - 1.2mm diameter grain size. Also known as "oolitic sand," this grade is ideal for shallower bedsallowing dentrification in little 1"depth.

fish77
06/06/2011, 02:43 PM
Coming from a BC29 owner of almost 4 years, [B]

Additionally, the hood begins to be a PITA during tank maintenance. Having to remove the entire hood and set it aside (still while all the cords run into it) every time you need to move a coral in the back, clean the back wall, siphon any algae that's not right below the feed door, remove/move a powerhead for cleaning, etc etc begins to get ridiculous.

+1

Also, you could think about adding a sump to the BC, people have done it and I almost did it here are my plans for adding the sump:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1979694

I would have gone through with it, one of the best upgrades you can do to your biocube IMO. Also you are going to want to change the lights from PC's I recommend LEDs, PAR38 from nanotuners or a DIY 24 led kit from rapid LED.

Good luck with your BC29
-fish77

firebirdude
06/06/2011, 03:19 PM
I've already done it. About 2 years ago during restart on the tank. If you'll even note the fan installed in the rear of the cabinet. Still flirting with high temps.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/858/dsc01269bu.jpg

Also, I installed the LEDs then too. People claim to be very happy with certain LED fixtures. But I don't know if these are initial reactions or long term growth opinions.... or just from inexperienced people that are happy with just about anything. My growth is fine, but my coral colors have faded slowly over time. It's almost hard to notice because I see the tank every day. But when I revisit a friend I bought a frag from and see his mother colony again, it's immediately noticeable. I'm fed up with my Biocube. When I get a screen built for the top, I'm removing the lid and using a hanging mH. Easily be done by the end of the month (out of town next week).