PDA

View Full Version : cyano in fuge??!!??

bandr1002
06/06/2011, 11:17 AM
so i am not sure where to post this except in the new to hobby thread...

I stepped away from the hobby awhile ago and decided to get back in.

I am in the proccess of setting up a 90 gallon RR tank. it has been up and running for about 3 months now. lights are 2 @ 150 watt Pheonix 14 ks, with 2 @ 96 watt 460 nm pcs. the skimmer is a Reef Octopus nwb150 (Love it!).
all parameters are reading great.

my fuge light is on 24/7 cycle and the bulb is a daylight R40 flood light, 5000k. here is a pic of my fuge....
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/bandr1002/IMAG0214.jpg

my question is this....
the center baffle has become over ridden with cyano!!! i am not talking a little bit, but a huge outbreak. I am wanting to cut the light cycle down to a reverse cycle, but i am concerned that the cycano will make its way to the DT. How long am i stuck with a cyano outbreak in the fuge? will it ever go away with the water changes and what not?

btw, i only have 3 chromis in the DT and i do not over feed. the skimmer is pulling out all sorts of junk, and the cheato is growing very rapidly....

thegrun
06/06/2011, 12:46 PM
A few things that will help:
1. You will be better off with a 16 hours on, 8 hours off cycle for the refugium lights.
2. I paint the baffles on either side of the refugium black to limit algae growth.
3. Increase the water flow through the fuge.
Some cyano is to be expected for the first 6 months or so. Your problem seems excessive, so suggestions 1-3 should help.

WaterKeeper
06/06/2011, 01:01 PM
Hey bandr-

You might consider dumping and restarting the fuge after a good cleaning. You can refill it with water change water and have it up again in no time. Then following thegruns suggestiions.

firebirdude
06/06/2011, 01:04 PM
No reason to have the fuge light on 24/7. In fact, keeping it on a reverse cycle from your display lights may yield more balance in pH through the night.

I'd keep flow low through the sump. Low and slow. If you need movement, use a powerhead.

bandr1002
06/06/2011, 05:32 PM
my main concern is the cyano getting into the main system. if i do the reverse light cycle, which is what i would like, do i risk it going into the main DT?

i plan on emptying the fuge and cleaning it out to rid the cyano.
and as for painting the baffles..... HUH?!? y would i put paint into the fuge???

muffe
06/06/2011, 09:25 PM
It's my understanding from reading that all tanks get cyano outbreaks.