PDA

View Full Version : Filefish question...?

JDM_SOHC
06/06/2011, 01:02 PM
Ok so I scooped up a filefish while out diving about a month ago for my tank, and one thing I notice about him is that he changes colors!! It's really cool, but I'm just making sure this is a natural occurrence and that it doesn't signal something being wrong with him..?? Also, are these fish rare to keep in SW tanks..?? I did some homework but there doesn't seem to be very much info on Filefish, other than in my area they are pretty pricey if u were to buy one from the store.. Thanks...

Sugar Magnolia
06/06/2011, 01:12 PM
Yes, they do change colors. They are hard to keep due to their diets in the wild. What are you feeding yours?

cside
06/06/2011, 04:05 PM
I used to have a local filefish too! mine changed colors as well. it would eat anything. I fed it livebrine, frozen mysis, emerald entree, and nori. It would pick at things off my lr constantly as well. i had no feeding issues but mine died of a strange infection. couldnt id it. didnt affect my other fish. ik it wasnt ich though.

reefinmo
06/06/2011, 05:50 PM
I have a matted filefish. He (or she?) is an aiptasia eating machine. He mostly just eats the flake food I feed the other fish, but I mix in some frozen Rod's food every few days and he eats that too. He's not a glutton like my clownfish, but he's plenty fat and happy.

rayn
06/06/2011, 05:59 PM
My filefish eats anything put in the tank. Has also done a wonderful job at getting rid of the aptasia.

tymon
06/06/2011, 06:01 PM
most fish seem to love emerald entree. its harder to find at my LFS though but it has helped me with hard to feed fish to eat. my copper banded butterfly loves the stuff same with all my fish. good stuff

JDM_SOHC
06/06/2011, 07:54 PM
my filefish eats frozen brine shrimp just fine, but he also constantly picks at my powerheads intake, my filters intakes, and my LR lol... He was like an albino color this morning now he's like a dark brown with these shiny dots on his body haha pretty cool...

Sugar Magnolia
06/06/2011, 08:57 PM
You'll want to add some more foods. Brine has little nutritional value, even frozen. Offer some thawed mysis and some pellet food.

JDM_SOHC
06/07/2011, 10:32 AM
what are some good pellets..?? I have a damsel, chromis, and filefish, 10 snails, 10 hermits, and 2 lil baby shrimp...

greech
06/07/2011, 10:51 AM
New life Spectrum are good pellets.

Sugar Magnolia
06/07/2011, 10:54 AM
New life Spectrum are good pellets.

Yep, that's the brand I use.