PDA

View Full Version : selling reef tank need appraisal

andy.thompson12
06/06/2011, 02:39 PM
I am moving to Hawaii in a few months and have decided to sell my tank to my boss back at school. She is a biology professor and has taken great interest in taking my tank. I have NO idea how much to sell it to her for a fair price, so I was wondering if you could help me get an idea of how much my tank is worth. I added everything I have spent on the tank and it came out to ~$1,400, which would be a ridiculous asking price. Here is a list of everything:

*55 gallon glass tank & stand
*20 gallon refugium with protein skimmer
*red sea wavemaker (with 4 maxijet pumps)
*5 T5 lights
-4 are run on an icecap ballast (overdriven) and one is on a single ballast.
*2 cheap heaters
*60 lbs of liverock

Inverts
*brittle star
*cleaner shrimp
*ORA derasa clam (5 inches long)

FISH
*medium size yellow tang
*2 clownfish
*1 royal gramma
*1 green chromis

CORALS
*red sea pulsing xenia
*baseball sized green stylophora
*small pink pocillopora
*medium toadstool leather
*7 metallic green mushrooms
*small montipora cap.
*3'' tricolor acropora
*1'' teal staghorn coral

any help would be most appreciated!

thanks,

Andy

sporto0
06/06/2011, 02:45 PM
you be able to get $500-650 easily

snorvich
06/06/2011, 04:39 PM
There is no such thing as "easily" in selling used tanks. Tell her what you paid, ask her for an offer. If it is more than 30% that is fair.

Palting
06/06/2011, 06:15 PM
Unfortunately, Snorvich is right. 30% is fair. It's your teacher, so be up front with your costs. She may be the best and only good offer you are going to get before you move. I've got a 110 gal, total cost of all equipment about $2K brand new, selling for $500 with ads all over locally, and noo bites for several months. I'll probably make a predator tank out of it.

lordofthereef
06/06/2011, 06:18 PM
I second (or third I guess) the 30% notion. It's the main reason I have learned to buy nothing new. Hell, I often seen new in box items sell for a flat 25%+ off retail with shipping included on our sell/trade forums.

snorvich
06/06/2011, 06:58 PM
I second (or third I guess) the 30% notion. It's the main reason I have learned to buy nothing new. Hell, I often seen new in box items sell for a flat 25%+ off retail with shipping included on our sell/trade forums.

Yes, you can get many good things at a very reasonable price. Selling is really tough, however.

dzfish17
06/06/2011, 07:53 PM
Selling in a bad economy can be tricky. You could have gotten more towards 40/50% a few yrs ago during the housing peak. Here where I live, people are almost giving stuff away with no takers. It also has alot to do with job stability and folks are not borrowing against their houses for things like fish tanks.