PDA

View Full Version : Quaruntine Tank: Protien Skimmer/PH/Heater?

Essense
06/06/2011, 03:43 PM
I've seen most QT builds advise using a HOB filter and additionally a heater and if possible a PH for water movement. I have a spare Tunze 9002 skimmer, can this be used in place of the HOB for the quaruntine tank? If I use the QT as a hosipital tank down the road do I need to have a HOB and not use the skimmer at all?

lordofthereef
06/06/2011, 03:56 PM
The reason a HOB is recommended is to provide some semblance of biological filtration. If you are treating the tank, this biofilter is being killed. If all you are doing is quarantining, this is a great way to minimize the amount and frequency of water changes. The skimmer doesn't replace a biofilter. IMO, you will want a biofilter over a skimmer, but neither replaces the need to do checks on your water to make sure it continues to remain safe for your quarantined livestock.

Essense
06/07/2011, 10:56 AM
Ok that makes sense, glad I asked.

Thanks for the guidance.

BigGimp77
06/07/2011, 02:48 PM
I had a old 37g tank with a 30g sump/fuge.

I turned that into my QT. I took out all the sand, but left the LR and the skimmer in there. I used hypo and after the initial die off from the LR, my parameters stabilized and I didn't need a HOB filter. The skimmer will not produce skimate as such a low salinity, but I kept it running to help keep the oxygen levels up in the tank.

MrTuskfish
06/07/2011, 02:53 PM
The reason a HOB is recommended is to provide some semblance of biological filtration. If you are treating the tank, this biofilter is being killed. If all you are doing is quarantining, this is a great way to minimize the amount and frequency of water changes. The skimmer doesn't replace a biofilter. IMO, you will want a biofilter over a skimmer, but neither replaces the need to do checks on your water to make sure it continues to remain safe for your quarantined livestock.
Yeah, keep an extra sponge for your QT HOB somewhere in the flow of your DT. It will be ready to instantly cycle your QT/HT whenever you need it. Toss the QT sponge when done, they're cheap. BTW, I really like Aqua-Clear HOB filters for QT. The sponges are separate from the useless carbon and they last for eons. There is no reason to use a skimmer in QT, but I know you just wanted to substitute.