PDA

View Full Version : coral

reef17
06/06/2011, 04:02 PM
can you please tell me what you persanolly think is the best coral for beginners thank you.:fish1:

:fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::twitch::bounce2::bounce2:

lordofthereef
06/06/2011, 04:17 PM
Almost any softy is great. Green star polyps and kenya trees are nearly impossible to kill (so much so that they eventually become a nuisance to some).

Zoanthids tend are quite easy to keep as well and tend to be available in many color varieties so you are not stuck with the same old dreary brown polyps.

snorvich
06/06/2011, 04:23 PM
What he said /\ but I would be careful about keeping items that you will later want to get rid of. It is difficult to predict that now, however.

phenom5
06/06/2011, 05:16 PM
My vote would go for zoanthids. Like Lord said, lots of colors available, easy to keep, but usually don't go completely out of control.

To echo snorvich's post, I would stay away from things that are too easy to keep. Mushrooms, GSP, Xenia...once they get a foothold in your tank, I can be next to impossible to get rid of them/ keep them under control.

Euphyllias (frogspawn, hammer, torch) are another pretty easy to keep species.

sjwitt
06/06/2011, 05:25 PM
Actinodiscus corals or mushroom corals. Very easy ... good "lighting check" to tell if your light system will support corals, forgiving of fluctuating water conditions, inexpensive, and they come in many variations. My opinion about the easiest out there.

jbowen
06/06/2011, 05:25 PM
I'm new to corals too and have had good luck with mushrooms, zoas, star polyps, toadstool leather and Kenya trees. I like the trees, but I'm diligent about picking up the extra pcs as they drop off or I'll end up with a forrest!

firebirdude
06/06/2011, 05:31 PM
Tell us what kind of lights you have.

bandr1002
06/06/2011, 05:40 PM
i agree with phenom5 on what not to get. it really depends on your system. I.E. what lights you are running, are you running a skimmer, do you have a refugium?

when i first started in the hobby, i had a regular filter with bio wheels, and no skimmer. as for lights i ran pc's. I have found that quite a few LPS are rather forgiving and it seems as though they almost prefer a dirtier water quality. If you are planning on SPS... that is a dif story.

as for easy, i would say that frogspawn, torch, and hammer are all pretty easy. Zoanthids are always nice (they can up and die on ya for no reason at all though lol)
if you go with mushrooms, i would only do the ricordea (all the others grow way to fast and will def over run your tank.)

lordofthereef
06/06/2011, 06:44 PM
Some are asking about lighting. The starter corals that we have listed here, for the most part, are very forgiving in regards to lighting. Standard PC lights will grow them all.

geccles
06/06/2011, 06:55 PM
Green star polyps (GSP) or ricordea. I would stay away from zoas at the start as they can melt for no reason and discourage interest. GSP and rics are good, hardy starters.

duncantse
06/06/2011, 07:21 PM
Any kind of mushrooms are fairy hardy.

ReeferBill
06/06/2011, 07:32 PM
I also like zoa's ,paly's ,mushrooms,green star polyps , green finger leather ,and green long polyp toadstool leather . These are all easy to keep ....Good Luck and Happy Reefing!!!:bounce1::wave:

Lynnmw1208
06/06/2011, 07:54 PM
my first corals were a frogspawn, a zoanthid frag, a ricordia frag and a birdsnest frag. Just depends on how good your water parameters are :) zoanthids are pretty hardy though and I would have to say my frogspawn is pretty easy as well.

firebirdude
06/06/2011, 08:33 PM
Let us know what lights you have.

Please don't say fluorescents.