PDA

View Full Version : need help with raising alk

mitch303
06/06/2011, 08:55 PM
so i tested my water today, my calcium was at 480 and my alk was at 5dkh. i have the seachem 2 part, so do i just add some of the alkalinty to raise it up to where it should be? should i use the recomended amount on the bottle?

also i plan on doing a water change tomorrow and i use the kent reef salt and it usually keeps my levels right where they should be. im not getting very much coraline algae growth is the low aalk why?

i also want to start using kalkawasser to keep my levels where they should be is this a good idead to drip into my sump? how much should i be using and hopw often?

rocking
06/06/2011, 09:00 PM
kalkawasser is the way to go to do what u want to do

disc1
06/06/2011, 09:07 PM
Kalk is good to maintain alk. For bumping it up you should use baking soda or soda ash. Or a reef buffer.

bertoni
06/06/2011, 09:16 PM
Kalkwasser will raise the pH far too much if you use it to raise alkalinity. Some of alkalinity part of the SeaChem should be okay. I'd break that into two doses to raise the alkalinity to 7 dKH. You could use baking soda, as well, which likely is a bit safer, since it won't spike the pH. This calculator might help:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html