PDA

View Full Version : Green hair algae turned to cyno?

baws187
06/07/2011, 12:29 AM
I had green hair algae for which I was doing water changes reguarly and pulling it off my CC. I have read about reef snow and a red algae remover? I am using rodi under 7 hrs of t5. Phosphates are testing at zero. I am guessing the inorganic phosphates are the problem. I have a skimmer and bio balls all tests are good. I am unsure of the path to take.

Chris27
06/07/2011, 06:39 AM
Hair algae won't turn to cyano......but cyano can surely cover hair algae.

Keep the nitrate and phosphate down, and get some good flow going in the tank via some powerheads, cyano really isn't fond of flow. When doing the weekly water changes make sure to siphon it all off. Give it a few weeks or months and you'll have it licked.

The red algae remover works temporarily, but the stuff usually comes back a few days later. Also, that stuff can deplete the tank of O2 if not used properly, so it can have dire effects, at any rate it's a band-aid at best. Manual removal and nutrient control packs the best punch in the fight.

bnumair
06/07/2011, 06:53 AM
first get rid of bio balls. they are know to be nitrate factories. phos and nitrates can test 0 if they are all being consumed by algae. siphon most of it our during water changes. u can use chemi clean for cyno reduction withno skimmer.

Sk8r
06/07/2011, 06:56 AM
Don't use the red slime remover: it's very hard on a new tank, even lethal. The algae is a minor nuisance, and can be stopped by doing a 3 day lights-out once a month for a few months. Poke the blue number under my avatar and read the entry entitled Algae, and it will explain in detail.

tymon
06/07/2011, 06:58 AM
you can keep the bio balls if you clean them alot. that is the only way they are effective.

PCFisher66
06/07/2011, 07:43 AM
Fix the cause not the result. Plus time will help as your tank matures.

baws187
06/07/2011, 02:22 PM
the tank has been set up for a year. Before that it was set up 5 yrs When I got it I kept half the original water. My tank is a 90 gallon. As far as the bio balls go. I havent had any nitrates in a while. Today I got pura phoslock I am gonna try that. If it isnt gone in a week the lights are gonna go out for a few days.

baws187
06/19/2011, 11:17 PM
Update........

well the phoslock and lights out for 3 days got rid of most of it.

funkejj
06/20/2011, 04:40 AM
If you have gha an cyano then you have nitrates they are just bound up by the algae. Remove the nitrates and phosphates and it will all go away. Keep the Giovanna if you want but they are more of a hassle then they are worth. They should be cleaned once a week to prevent buildup of crap. Just easier to run without them as it is not needed.

baws187
06/22/2011, 12:21 PM
If you have gha an cyano then you have nitrates they are just bound up by the algae. Remove the nitrates and phosphates and it will all go away. Keep the Giovanna if you want but they are more of a hassle then they are worth. They should be cleaned once a week to prevent buildup of crap. Just easier to run without them as it is not needed.

Giovanna?