PDA

View Full Version : BRS vs. Bi-ionic 2 parts question

newbie916
06/07/2011, 01:01 AM
Hi,

I've been using Bi-Ionic and I just bought the BRS 2-parts with Mg as well.

I've read that the recipe on the BRS site is pretty strong. Do you guys know how much I should mix to match the BRS with the Bi-Ionic? Or should I just go with the recommended and adjust?

Thanks...

HighlandReefer
06/07/2011, 01:48 PM
You can use this calculator to determine how much you need to add:

Reef chemicals calculator
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

You can substitute Randy's recipe depending on which one you are using for alk & also mag.

SPotter
06/07/2011, 02:08 PM
i recently switched from the BRS 2 part to B-ionic and I did not find the BRS 2 part to be that strong. I am dosing a little less than half of B-ionic in comparison to what I had to dose with BRS 2 part and I could never get my alk above 8 with it. I'm not saying BRS is bad, I just didnt have a good experience with it and I am sure that I was probably mixing it wrong.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/07/2011, 03:39 PM
My DIY Recipe #2 (which BRS uses) is a bit less potent than B-ionic. About 2/3 as potent. :)

Tbduval
06/08/2011, 09:51 AM
Randy- why is this? Are they just adding more of the chemicals or is it a different chemical?

HighlandReefer
06/08/2011, 01:51 PM
calcium carbonate is sold in different forms listed from the most water in the crystal make-up to the least amount of water:

dihydrate
monohydrate
hydrated

The more water in the crystal the less concentrated it will be.

I believe BRS sells dihydrate. I don't know what B-ionic uses.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/08/2011, 02:24 PM
The reduced potency is because of the difficulty of dissolving the alk part well. It is near saturation. Companies have more advanced equipment.