PDA

View Full Version : completely stupid question about a lid

youpey
06/07/2011, 06:21 AM
I have a biocube 14g which i updated the lights to t5. The lights are not retrofit, they are standard lights which have the feet and sit on top of the tank. Now my wife was worried about the cat trying to take a bath in the fishtank, so i put on a piece of lexan plastic on top of the tank. If fit almost as if it was made for the tank.

Here is my stupid question. Is it bad for the tank to have a lid like that. I am not sure if it cuts away the oxygen from the fish. I have the entire back area open (where the "sump" area is) just in case that was it. this way there would be the ability for oxygen to get in. I am thinking its not an issue, but ever since i put it on there i noticed the fish was swimming at the top of the tank and i wasnt sure if this is an indication of an issue or maybe if he always did this. Maybe i am over thinking things, but i want to make sure it is safe for him

greech
06/07/2011, 06:43 AM
It isn't the best thing for gas exchange and it will need to be cleaned often as it will likely coat with salt creep pretty quick and block light into the tank. It may also yellow (not sure) and or bow from the heat of the lights.

There are screen tops you can make out of window frames and netting you can get at places like Bulk Reef Supply that work much better. I realize the curved glass is difficult to fit but I have seen them made for these tanks and they look very good.