PDA

View Full Version : I got up real early this morning to go huntin'

Tmot99
06/07/2011, 06:56 AM
Since yesterday afternoon, I spotted the enemy and I was on a mission. When I first spotted him, he dashed into a crevice before I could really get a decent look at him. I knew the pattern on his body, so if I came across a picture, I might be able to figure it out. But I couldn't identify his shape.

I did some searching online and found a photo of what it could be, Dendrodoris elongata! I continued to do more searches and low and behold, it is not likely a Dendrodoris elongata. So I keep checking out my tank throughout the evening like I do just about every evening, and I see it again. Around this rock, and across that one. I get my baster out and try to suck it out, but its no use. It is too strong and the baster is just not the right tool for the job. But he knows I know he's there.

So I get up early this morning to go huntin'. With a miner's light on my head and my camo pajamas on, I go down to my tank. And there, in the corner, I spot him. Without hesitation, I remove the hood of my tank and with my bare hand, reach in and grab him! It's a bit of a struggle, but I am not going to let him get away. He goes this way, I go that way, and finally, I catch him!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/tmot99/BC29%20Aquarium/polycladflatworm.jpg

A polyclad flatworm.

I had read on here to get up at 5:00am and see if they are out, and sure enough, this advice was sound! I always look around my tank in the evening with a flashlight because there is so much going on but yet, have never seen this guy. It was strange that I just happened to see him yesterday in the afternoon and then was able to see him going around my tank last night. I have had many snails disappearing on me and I've wondered why I can't even keep a frickin' snail in my tank. I wonder just how many more I have. But no doubt, I'm going huntin' again!

greech
06/07/2011, 07:01 AM
Good story.

Guess the early bird does get the worm :)

Happy hunting!

Sugar Magnolia
06/07/2011, 07:15 AM
Good catch!! Hopefully that's the only one.

disc1
06/07/2011, 08:09 AM
I just caught one of those in my tank a week ago. Big flatworm. Someone told me they are usually solitary. I hope for both our sakes that is right.

progman2000
06/07/2011, 08:31 AM
Wow, that thing is a snail killer?

Tmot99
06/07/2011, 08:36 AM
Yep. goes after clams too. I don't have any clams though. I only have a 29g biocube. I really hope that he was alone. I've got a trap in the tank for a few days to see if I can catch any more.