PDA

View Full Version : Live rock, got ripped off? (newbie)

vengefulnoise
06/07/2011, 09:31 AM
I bought the 12 gal elcipse marineland aquarium kit and I bought 5 pounds of live rock. The the live rock was 8.99 pound "aqua cured" and it looked kinda bland. I feel ripped off and upset because I spent 50 bucks and what seems that I got the short end of the deal. I did not add any fish or anything and it's been about a week.

The rock looks like this image (I didn't take a picture of it but I will when I get home from work) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/Live_rock_prior_to_tank_installation.JPG It looks like this rock but with less color, less green. I am not sure maybe it will grow some algae or I just shredded my money.

This was one of the only places that sells live rock around here so I thought it would be okay. What are your opinions on the description of my rock? Is it ever going to look nice will the (purpleish) coraline growing on it? Can I jumpstart the growth somehow? Or maybe it's better without it?

disc1
06/07/2011, 09:35 AM
You didn't get ripped. Live rock never feels worth the money you paid for it when you first look at it. What you paid all that money for are mostly things you will never see. Actually, the blander it looks maybe the better, it's probably cured better. After some time in your tank, it will have all sorts of stuff growing on it.

Crazed
06/07/2011, 09:39 AM
In 6 months you won't be able to tell that it looked so lifeless, don't worry. If you want a few pretty pieces, buy a couple piece of Fiji rock... usually very colorful and interestingly-shaped. But the rock you have now is perfectly fine, you weren't ripped off. :)

EasyEd77
You can't expect a brand new aquarium to have rock covered with coraline algae. Be patient, keep you parameters in check, and it will happen. At that price just be thankful you only needed 5 pounds. :). Even if were a couple of bucks cheaper you are only saving 10 or 15 bucks, don't worry about it. There are plenty of searches that you can do about stimulating coraline algae growth.

firebirdude
"Live" can be a misleading term for beginners. But essentially is simply means that it contains various living microscopic fauna that are beneficial to your saltwater tank. It doesn't have to contain pieces of coral, sponges, snails, crabs, or even coralline algae.

BUT all that said....many of the critters, etc stated above are common. $8.99/lb is a common price, but still a touch on the high side. For that price, I'd expect some color at least. I really wouldn't say you got ripped off (though I know you feel that way), I just wouldn't say you got any type of good deal... just be happy is was only 5 lbs.

The pinks/purples you see from established tanks will come with time. It often takes a year plus to start seeing.

bnumair
06/07/2011, 09:58 AM
as long as it dont stink and smell its ready for ur tank and in few months if parameters are fine u wont be able to tell its same rock.

vengefulnoise
06/07/2011, 10:11 AM
It would be nice if it contained coral and critters :P

But thank you for all your feedback, gives me hope I didn't waste my money. I actually think I found a place that sells better rock and the same price but I would have to look into it.

I barely started the hobby and love it so far but it def can get expensive and I am a college student. I'd really like to get some corals and such before getting fish, is that not recommended?

disc1
06/07/2011, 10:17 AM
You can get coral first. Soft corals are really good for beginners and pretty hard to kill.

You may be glad after a while that the rock didn't come with any corals or anything. Usually, you don't get the kind of polyps you want, and when you do they don't make the cycle. Mostly if the rock is good enough to have some sort of coral polyp, it's also going to have aptasia or some other baddie right along with it.

firebirdude
06/07/2011, 10:18 AM
Nothing wrong with that. At all.

Don't know what kind of lights those things have... but it can't be much. I'd stick to mushrooms at first.

vengefulnoise
06/07/2011, 10:53 AM
When I buy a coral, does it grow out, as in does in spread? I have seen stuff in the stores and its like a small bunch like 3 to 4 inches long on like a little square of rock. It's the soft coral type stuff that looks like a star on the end... kinda like this

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/wallpaper/photography/photos/coral-kingdoms/soft-coral-henry/

jkcoon
06/07/2011, 11:01 AM
IF you want to save money in the future, buy dry rock form some place like BRS or Marco and then buy a little live rock to seed it... it may take a couple more months to color up but at $2-2.5/pound, you can save a fortune.

James77
06/07/2011, 11:08 AM
When I buy a coral, does it grow out, as in does in spread? I have seen stuff in the stores and its like a small bunch like 3 to 4 inches long on like a little square of rock. It's the soft coral type stuff that looks like a star on the end... kinda like this

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/wallpaper/photography/photos/coral-kingdoms/soft-coral-henry/

Some grows upward and only a bit outwards, others the opposite. Some just encrusts on rocks....like green star polyps. Most corals grow up and out. The image you linked are clove poyps, and will encrust along rock and any other hard substrate....like green stars, but a little taller.

That rock is fine....withing a few weeks or months, you will see pods and worms, and algae will grow.

firebirdude
06/07/2011, 11:13 AM
Of course coral grows out and spread. Some faster than others. Most of your soft corals grow pretty quickly. In fact, some so fast, they become a nuisance. Green star polyps and xenia are two that people often complain about. But with that small of a tank, you should have no problems keeping them under control. In a 220 gallon tank with 250lbs of rock... you could see how someone might have troubles picking out every little polyp.

kctango
06/07/2011, 11:34 AM
The lighting that your system came with is weak when it comes to corals. Corals demand stronger lighting. I did notice on the marineland website that they had a bulb for your system that is marked "saltwater" but it doesnt list what it is. You might want to call them as to the type and size.

alton
06/07/2011, 11:50 AM
I like to keep 1 lb. of live rock per gallon of water which is the norm, so you will need to buy 7 more lbs. Maybe you can find somene selling some from there tank locally. Remember not all rock is the same, some of it is like concrete.

firebirdude
06/07/2011, 11:53 AM
This is the type of rock $8.99 gets you around where I live
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9176/14815810150091167296133.jpg
Some is nicer than that.

Same LFS sells some with a little less color for $6.99/lb. And then live rock with no color (as you pictured) for $4.99/lb. If none of your local stores have anything like this, get a couple small pieces from another local reefer.

vengefulnoise
06/07/2011, 12:16 PM
Wouldn't 12 pounds of live rock make less room if I want fish? I id understand it was usually 1lbs to 1 gallon but why is that? I am trying to find my lighting info as well, it seems like I am having touble to find it...all I know it's one white bulb and one white bulb...

vengefulnoise
06/07/2011, 12:18 PM
Wow...my LR is nothing compared to that...my is all whiteish rock...should I post on here to see if anyone wants to sell me LR locally? I actually tried on carigslist with no luck, not that was expecting anything

disc1
06/07/2011, 12:36 PM
Wouldn't 12 pounds of live rock make less room if I want fish? I id understand it was usually 1lbs to 1 gallon but why is that? I am trying to find my lighting info as well, it seems like I am having touble to find it...all I know it's one white bulb and one white bulb...

In a 12ga you are only going to have one fish. Maybe two very small fish. 12lbs of live rock isn't a must, but it will help with filtration. You're not going to run out of room for a fish.